Precharging 6v batteries

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
I bought our two 6v golf cart batteries about 16 months ago. They've been stored in a heated garage since and have yet to be hooked up. How do I (safely) charge them up before I drop them into the boat and put them to work? All I have is a standard 12v plug into the wall automotive battery charger.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
I have always put my 12 volt, on one of those cheap low amp chargers. I bring the battery in the garage, and periodically through the winter plug the charger in and let it run for a day or two.

In my opinion any well regulated charger could be used to charge your batteries. Just put the batteries on the charger for a couple of days before you plan to put them in your boat. I would not use a "quick" charge setting, but one of the lower settings.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Connect them in series and run your 12 v charger on ‘trickle’ while monitoring both voltage and temperature. If you are careful, you could charge at a higher rate. Before doing anything, check their resting voltage separately to ensure they are at the same approximate charge - if one is substantially weaker than the other, connecting them in series can damage the good battery.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I hope you stored those new bats on wood so as not to discharge them. As for charging connect them in series and use a standard 12 charger. The charge won't be as deep as a programmable charge found on a boat it will revitalize the bat's if they need to be. Like @Don S/V ILLusion stated care for temp and amps need to be paid attention to.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks to both, and yes - up off the floor for certain I'm a chainsaw carver so the piece of wood they were on is/was a full on log! haha

What voltages should I be seeing on the tester before I start?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Benny's right. Urban myths and old wives tales just keep on festering.
The real issue is temperature. Actually colder is better for keeping a charge, so this "heated basement" stuff is nonsense. The REASON, kids, is that the first battery cases just weren't up to snuff. These days, like even in my youth when I was just a twinkle, like 70+ years ago, this was even then a myth.
Please help us eliminate, stop, contain or limit this BS.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
"Actually colder is better for keeping a charge," is good up to a Point. If the battery discharges sufficiently, the chemical properties of the sulfate/acid solution in the battery will change. As the chemical composition of the battery changes the freezing point of the solution changes. It the combination of state of discharge, and storage temperature is correct, the the battery will freeze, possibly destroying the internal structure of the battery.

That is why you bring your battery in for the winter. This depends on what your "winter" is like where you live

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I believe that this is a myth that has been disproven. Seating them on concrete or wood will not cause one to self discharge more than the other.
Ya learn something new every day around here and this is my lesson for the day.

May 25, 2019
Macgregor 26X Chesapeake Bay
IMHO the wood not concrete myth came about from people placing wood between their battery and the concrete to protect the concrete from battery acid, not to protect the battery.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If all you have is a "standard 12v plug-in" charger, and you don't want to invest in more charging equipment, then do the following:

1. connect the batteries in series, i.e., a jumper from one's positive to the other's negative terminal. Treat the combination as on 12V battery, using the remaining terminals;
  2. check the water level. Don't fill them up before charging, only add water if there are plates exposed to air, in which case, add just enough distilled water to cover the plates;
  3. charge them. When fully charged, fill with distilled water to the manufacturer's recommended level.
All of this should suggest to you that you find the manufacturer's data sheet and recommendations for the batteries.

If you can rationalize acquiring more equipment, it's recommended that you equalize the batteries. Equalize according to the manufacturer's recommended voltage; this varies, believe it or not.

Good luck.

jv

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
So, new battery chargers don't come with a 6V/12V switch like the one I got at Western Auto 50 years ago ?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Had to be later than that, I was stopped by the police in a 1963 Bug because the headlights were so dim.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Words to ponder from an old third generation mechanic (75).
Keeping batteries off the floor was important for those batteries that had a tar like substance on the top. Old guys may remember sticking a penny in the tar top to keep the terminals from corroding but the penny sure did.
Two 6 volt batteries in series vrs. two 12 volt batteries in parallel, hum!

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Sorry for the delayed revisit. You can bet I didn't have any time on the boat the past week.....
As it turns out our local Canadian Tire has a 6/12v charger/maintainer on sale right now for $35. I'll head there at lunch time. Thanks for all the responses!