Port

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We have had a lot of rain over the past week. In our aft room, above our bed, the port window that is below the seating, has a small drip leak. Anyone have an idea if 4000UV would do the trick and do you cock the outside/inside or just the outside? I'm not even sure why there is a window there considering you are just staring at the seat of the cockpit.
You did not actually say whether the leak is against the rubber seal of the window itself, or if the entire port light installation is leaking, as dL has assumed based on what your report/inquiry implies. We may assume the latter, but different solutions would apply depending. BTW, I think you mean “caulk.”

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I believe you are talking about the hatch that is over the head end of the bed.
We had a leak in ours during very hard rain and when I evaluated it what I found is that the rubber gasket that goes around the hatch had a gap near the top. The two ends of the one piece gasket has separated slightly but it was enough to let water in during a hard rain (or when I was washing the boat).
A small dab of a good boat sealant took care of the problem and it’s been fine now for 10 years.

You ask what the hatch is for. Ventilation in the aft cabin. It also is intended to be an emergency exit although it’s a little small for most normal sized people to fit through. But it does in theory give you a second way to exit the aft cabin should the other exits be blocked.

The seat above in the cockpit can be lifted up and there is a bungee chord that is designed to hold it up to help in getting better air flow.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have what I believe are the same, or similar, one-piece rubber gaskets that the acrylic pane seals against when closed, which are also "split" at the top. When they get old, the gasket evidently shrinks just enough to open the distance and to let water leak in. I replaced a couple of the gaskets, but it is a PIA. The sealant idea is the better one!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Try using a garden hose. Mine was quite obvious that water was coming in when the hatch was fully closed and I could easily see that it was not coming from a poor bedding of the frame. I could see the beads of water forming right at the spot where the rubber gasket seam was