Pop Top Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Haynes

I have recently aquired a 1984 Mac 25. The boat has a "checkered" past, in that I am not sure what is missing and what is there. It has a pop top, but looking at it I see bracket holders on the pop-top and the top of the boat that look like the pop-top should have legs on it to hold it up. I see HavenCraft sells pop-top legs, but is that all I would need? Is there other hardware I should be looking for? Thanks! Doug

D

Doug Rodrigues

You're missing two pieces

I have a Venture 2-22, however all the photos I've seen indicate that all the MacGregors pop-tops are of the same design as mine. What you're missing are two chrome tubes that connect to the front corners of your pop-top. The tubes have an angle cut at the ends with an oval piece welded on to match the angle of the corner attachments. They attach to the bolts in those corners and are secured via stainless steel wing-nuts. They hold the pop-top into position approximately one foot forward of center of balance. Warning: Use proper lifting posture when raising your pop-top or you'll throw your back out of wack! Good luck.

J

Jeff Knipps

Pop-Top supports

I also looking for a source for the pieces that hold the pop top up. On this boat, they slide into brackets bolted to the underside of the pop top and to the deck forward of the companionway. I am also looking for the hook-clamps that hold the pop-top down. Does anyone know of a source for these parts?

M

matt Engelman

Pop Top Parts

Don't forget the pop top hold-down clamps also available at Havencraft. These are meant to hlod the pop top closed in the event of a knock down, not exactly optional equipment in my book. The hold-down clamps on my mac 25 were removed by a previous owner and are towards the top of my list of things to fix... Fair winds, Matt

D

Dave Schiller

parts

I agree with the other descriptions of what you need as I have a 1984 Mac 25 and have all of that. For parts, the best source of parts (and advice) I have found is Havencraft in Massachusetts. They have a website and you can also get their catalogue. I do not often use the hold downs as I have never on the Potmac had anything close to a knockdown and we donot sail with the top up. But they are useful to secure the top if you are leaving theboat for any time. Good luck. Dave Schiller dschil3870@aol.com

R

Richard Wallace

You Can Make All Of The Pieces

The tubes to support the top can be made from 1" aluminum tubing. If you don't find someone with the correct length, send me a note at wallacer@grangeinsurance.com and I will measure them and let you know the length. The pop-top holddowns are J shaped. They could be made out of 1/8 x 1" aluminum strip. They were mounted on the four long studs that come down from the pop-top. Wing nuts were used to tighten them against the cabin roof. As far as the top being water proof, it does not fit tightly on the cabin top. After a number of different attempts I surrounded the opening with an oak frame and fitted it to the pop-top to get a close fit. I finished with some weather stripping on the pop-top and ended up with a semi-wind/water tight fit. Hope this all helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.