Pop Top Cover 1988 Mac 26D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
We used to call them "scuds" after a well know missile that could be launched but no one knew where it would land.:eek:

Something akin mooring an X or M in a high wind or classic with the pop top up. (had to keep the thread in line)

Much prefer to work on Boeing better still, Macs.
Mic
My favorite is the b757 freighter, I worked them for 10 years thinking it would be my last type. Then UPS brought the A300 to my station, I have the A300 airworthiness release, engine run and taxi, and now the Cat 3 sign off. This model has been doing well for UPS, almost 97% dispatch rate.

I just bought a Catalina 25 project boat for a very small price. Clean and restore and I'll turn it for a nice profit. I am stuck here for 3 more days, weather is going downhill, and I have a cross country trip on RJs to look forward to:cussing:...I'll be glad to get home.

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
My favorite is the b757 freighter, I worked them for 10 years thinking it would be my last type. Then UPS brought the A300 to my station, I have the A300 airworthiness release, engine run and taxi, and now the Cat 3 sign off. This model has been doing well for UPS, almost 97% dispatch rate.
Well done. Never did get used to the pistol grip. Are they all going fly by wire now? No cables to pull either (I retired at 65 in 2000).

Imagine a Mac all electronic like aircraft are now, it would take the art out of sailing.

I just bought a Catalina 25 project boat for a very small price. Clean and restore and I'll turn it for a nice profit.
Post your photos and progrees so we can live vicariously

I am stuck here for 3 more days, weather is going downhill, and I have a cross country trip on RJs to look forward to:cussing:...I'll be glad to get home.
Good luck in you exams, been there. Snow starting heavy here on the passes. At least you are going to be home for Christmas

Mar 25, 2007
Macgregor 26S Davis, CA
Please be patient as I am in Louisville Kentucky for avionics training on the Airbus A300 freighter. One more week and I can send this aircraft into bad weather for an autoland. Will resume making covers when I get back.

Great; thanx for the reply. I'll stand by, since I also wrote expressing my interest in having a pop top made as well.

Cheers,
Albert

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton

I just bought a Catalina 25 project boat for a very small price. Clean and restore and I'll turn it for a nice profit. I am stuck here for 3 more days, weather is going downhill, and I have a cross country trip on RJs to look forward to:cussing:...I'll be glad to get home.
Here in Canada for freight we still use the B727. Love flying that airplane. The last true hands on airplane. At least all ours are Cat 2.

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
Here in Canada for freight we still use the B727. Love flying that airplane. The last true hands on airplane. At least all ours are Cat 2.
Which seat?--- Mac Classic or--- X or M owner ?

Do they still have the cheap, "DB Cooper" household sliding bolt door lock on the rear stairs? I worked on PWA's 27's going to Inuvik etc No Cat then only a flip up lens for landing.

Next we will be having CAT 2 GPS on a Macs no more mooring bumps EH!
Mic

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
I have the classic Mac swing keel. It seems I'm stuck in the classic mode. I like the newer Macs for their room inside, but they sure don't sail well. I can outsail any ot them that I have come across. My motorcycle is an 85 Harley, my house is an 1880 victorian and I fly a classic aircraft.
You don't happen to work for Kelowna flighcraft do you? Seeing your in the Okanogan.

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
I have the classic Mac swing keel. It seems I'm stuck in the classic mode. I like the newer Macs for their room inside, but they sure don't sail well. I can outsail any ot them that I have come across. My motorcycle is an 85 Harley, my house is an 1880 victorian and I fly a classic aircraft.
You don't happen to work for Kelowna flighcraft do you? Seeing your in the Okanogan.
No but came close once. I know some that did or still do work at KFC. Work at 76 is a dirty word.

I was surprised when accompanying an M down the lake and had to circle a couple of times. They had a cruising spinnaker out. That is when I realized what I had bought. But like you would like the height in the cabin. Not going to change now

This last season I got a slip for a short while in OK landing Vernon. I really enjoyed the convenience. I used it as a town house when late in Vernon. It was safe not having to drive 60 klm to Falkland, where we live, through the many blocks no operating on the 97.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I havent heard back from John about a custom cover (and am still interested..) but my neighbor bought a new cover for his power boat so I tried a little experiment with his old cover that he was going to throw out. This is all "spot" hand sewn and its pretty rough looking but it really works well for cold nights and opens up a lot of extra room in that boat for the floating RV mode (26S). No windows but I think that will be ideal for marina camping (the main reason I "may" need this at the moment)

Brand name is "EADO" (ok... my neighbor has a SEADOO boat - I might have cut off some of the letters)

Attachments

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Nothing wrong with that cover! FREE, makes it even better.
I should hear from my local guy this week on making a duplicate from my original cover. I have seen his work and it's good.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Well... yes I did REALLY like the price. My total cost into the project is maybe $12.. Wife even sewed on it a little (and made me appreciate the sewing Ruth did on the one Sumner and Ruth have). The experience of us working together on the sewing was similar to hanging wall paper as partners (to be avoided at all costs) but it’s great that the wife will have some ownership in the project.

Turns out that the boat cover had some sort of inner liner that actually makes the cover a "not bad" insulator.

First picture is testing the cover at an outside temp of 22F. The little propane heater kept it "livable". A space heater on 750 watts makes it considerably more comfortable and a space heater on 1500 watts gets it fairly toasty (but that is a lot of power).

Second picture: The sides on this one tuck in and there are four snaps on each side. The snaps a screwed into the fiberglass but because the cover tucks in, the snaps are under the pop top cover when it is down.

Third picture: This shows the sewed in liner that the boat cover came with...

Forth picture: I’m probably not going to put any zippers on the entrance - just pull it out of the way. It makes a fairly good seal in the back just draped over the boat and this also makes it fast to set up or take down.

I think it will be nice as a boat tent for a place like Lake Havasu (Arizona) during the winter.. Might to too warm for a lot of places in the summer but it might also keep the boat cool in the morning???

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.