Pointing into the wind

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John McDaris

I have a 1984 Hunter 31, with shoal draft, what can I do to make it head up higher into the wind, when I race?

L

Larry S

Prep is the key

Hi, I raced a deep draft version of that boat succesfully for many years, and there are MANY variables to getting that boat to point well. With shoal draft you will not point as high, maybe within 2-3 degrees of deep (draft is fast) How are your sails? if they are worn (too much draft) you won't point. The boat needs to sail at 18-22 degrees of heel upwind. otherwise your rudder will suck air. The boat needs to be trimmed properly as they are heavy on the starboard side (no water,all heavy items on port side). The boat sails best with a flatter than stock main, 150% genoa in true wind of 13 knots and under. 13- 22 knots full main, or 1 reef and 130% genoa. Crew weight makes a big differance. Also stock hunter bottoms are not faired in very well, if you are serious about racing a good bottom job with a folding prop is needed (PHRRF assumes this). The mast needs to be tuned (read the b&r owners manual). There is much more, but it depends on how serious a racer you are.I won over 50 trophies with my H31, and could beat a J30 boat for boat in winds over 12 knots. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.