plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2014
lockley-newport 23 sarasota
i'm in the process of restoring hull 543 and i'm up to the plumbing. thinking about hot water and pressure systems. here are the questions. where's a good location for the hot water heater? anyone recommend a particular brand? my c-30 has 2 water tanks - one for the head shower/sink and one for the galley sink. can you combine them into one water source to feed into the heater? is an accumulator tank necessary? any other comments, hints, tips, etc are welcome.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Plumbing Info

Joe.... Go to ....."Resources" click on "Sailing Web Sites" go to Page 2 and click on "International 30 Catalina Association" click on...."Technical Library" then go to "C30 Parts Manual" click on "Section 4 - Systems" You will see the orginal owners manual diagrams of the plumbing systems with and without hot water heater, which should be a good start for you. The water heater in my Mark II 1988 Model is installed under the quarter berth next to the fuel tank. Its a square 6-gallon capacity AC operated unit and runs off the single water pump and tankage (ve-berth and starboard settee berth). It services both the galley and head. I added an accumulator last year and its a great addition as it maintains better pressure, less pump running time and acts as a separate water reservoir. I highly recommend the accumulator and install close to the pump. As for brands of water heaters, their are numerous manufacturers, but space installation restrictions may have a bearing on which brand has a unit to fit that space. Life is so much better onboard with a water heater!! Good luck Bob

J

joe friedman

specifics, please

bob. okay, i get it. can you tell me - 1. what size heater do you have? 2. does it really fit under the quarter berth? i've moved the fuel tank out of that location so i have the entire space, but i'm not sure about the height restrictions. 3. what pump do you have? my original 1977 installation has a water puppy under the vee-berth that i can move, but i don't know if it has the proper capacity - catalina specifies a pump, but not the size. anything else you might offer would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
My MK II

I have a 1990 Catalina 30 MKII. My water tanks serve both the kitchen and the head. They are fed into the waterpump and I have one waterpump. If I was replacing my waterpump I would go with a larger unit because it will give you better pressure and it will not work as hard. As far as the hotwater tank in my MKII, it sits underneath of the quarterberth right beside the fuel tank. I would HIGHLY reccomend putting the fuel tank back in that location and then putting the waterheater beside it. You should be fine with most of the 6 gallon square hotwater tanks that are sold. Just make sure that you put the tank drains in an area where you can get to them and also make sure that the tank is level. My water pump is located in the area of the boat underneath the galley and seats for the dining table. You can access it through the accesses underneath the seats. Try to get a copy of the schematics from the Catalina 30 owners manuel.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Water Heater

Joe; Yes, my "rectangular" water heater is under the quarter berth nested next to the fuel tank. Their is no other logical place to put the water heater on that boat!! The space under the galley is too small, the nav station has the battery bank, it might fit near the engine, but you would have to cut out fiberglass to get it in. Forward your wasting space in the locker and I will assume you have tankage under your v-berth. Yep, stick with the quarter berth. I do not know the make of my water pump, but it is not a belt driven model. Check the schematics to see if a pressure rating is given for any of those pumps. Marine catalogs will usually advertise pumps rated for the length of the vessel and number of receptables. It must be powerful enough to keep good pressure for the head, galley sinks, and shower, that is why I recommend an accumulator. You mentioned two tanks, and both should be plumbed (T) into the water pump and it is the water pump that will then feed the galley and head. Consider in-line easily accessible filters or strainers in your lines running out of the pump to the faucets. You want your water clean. On most or newer 30 models the water pump is located on the port side accessed through the engine compartment panels. If your running your water lines to the head and sink to port you can epoxy a small piece of plywood (paint it or seal it first) to the inside of the hull slightly above the bilge area for protection for mounting the pump and accumulator. Its a simple two-to-four screw mount. Do not make your new water lines tight about the vessel, rather allow for some flex. Check your DC electrical panel to see if a "water pressure or pump" switch is wired in. I do not know how "original" or to spec. you are striving to make this early hull, but if you had to, you can wire the pump to the battery with an in-line fuse and add a switch somewhere in the galley area. Interesting project.........keep us posted Good luck Bob

May 23, 2004
Accumulator Question

I have seen where two people are speaking of an Accumulator in the boat. I am not sure if i have one in my MKII Catalina 30. Is an accumulator a good addition because I do notice that there is a little lag in the shower when you are using it, sometimes? What brand of accumulator did you add? Where did you put it? How hard was the install? What size is it? Does it go before or after the waterpump in the freshwater system?

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Accumulator

I have the Catalina 30 Mark II model as well and their was no accumulator installed as standard equipment. The accumulator acts as a mini-hydropneumatic tank. The purpose is to maintain a constant water pressure in the system thereby, prolonging pump recycling and pump life. They contain an internal butyl rubber bladder that is inflated to 10 psi to maintain water pressure. You will see a fitting where the pressure can be increased with a bike tire pump, but I would leave it at factory spec (10 psi). Some of the larger more expensive units work at 20 psi. I saw a 20 psi stainless unit by Surflo for over $200.00, but that would be more preferable for a larger system. The accumulator I have is a Jabsco black cylindrical unit about thirteen inches high that ran about $79.00 at West Marine. It came with the inlet and outlet fittings. The accumulator has an inlet line and an outlet line and was very easy to install. Just make sure you use stainless hose clamps and stainless mounting screws and washers. Do not forget the pipe thread wrap tape! Instructions for mounting were plain and simple. Access to the installation location just below the water pump on my Mark II was easy. Once installed, you will instantly note that the water pump does not come on as frequently. Bob

Nov 5, 2014
tank?

i just measured the height underneath the quarter berth and the best i can do is about 13". the seaward 6 gallon tank has the shortest height at 13". once i build a platform for the unit to sit on, i don't see where it's going to fit. my 30 is an old '77. could it be that there is less space under the quarter berth deck than you MKII guys? any suggestions? any alternate locations?

May 23, 2004
Have you tried Catalina Direct

They will have the watertank there for the C30. They may be able to help you find what you need. Try the link here and there is a watertank on the page.

Nov 5, 2014
seaward

the water heater they show is the seaward 6 gallon which measures 13" tall. still looking for an alternative place to mount. port cockpit locker is gaining my attention. lots 'o wasted space there.

May 10, 2004
Beneteau 36 CC Sidney, BC, Canada
Joe my 83 Cat 30

Has its water heater located in the port cockpit locker, forward end. It does not interfere with storage and I put in a new replacement seaward heater (six gallon) a few years ago and it fit through the locker openning. Good luck with the reno.

May 10, 2004
Beneteau 36 CC Sidney, BC, Canada
Joe my 83 Cat 30

Has its water heater located in the port cockpit locker, forward end. It does not interfere with storage and I put in a new replacement seaward heater (six gallon) a few years ago and it fit through the locker openning. Good luck with the reno.

May 23, 2004
Catalina 30 Stockton, CA
My 1981

My 1981's water heater is in the port lazerette. Both of my tanks, the one under the v-berth and the one forward of the chart table are connected via a valve to the water pump. The valve allows me to switch between tanks. The valve is located under the quarter berth between the chart table and the ladder. The water pump is located forward of the galley on the port side under the seat. I generally use the forward tank first saving my smaller tank for a reserve supply. Are you sure your's are hooked up so one supplies the shower and the other the galley? I'd think that would require two pumps which doesn't sound like a standard set-up.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
On my '88 Mark II model the v-berth tank gravity feeds into the settee (starboard side) tank. The settee tank then connects to the water pump. You are drawing off both tanks connected in series. The only way to shut-off each tank is at the valve at the base of each tank. Using two pumps running off two tanks is a bit much for the 30 and its total tankage. The water line run from the pump if mounted in the engine compartment amidships is not that far for the galley and the head. It would not justify a second pump. If you want to waste amps, use them instead in a separate shower sump where they would have greater benefit. That bilge sump can get a bit smelly from the shower discharge drain. Follow the plumbing schematics in the Catalina Manual for more detail. Interesting to read that the water heaters were mounted in the cockpit locker on earlier models. Makes good sense, especially since it allows more storage room under the quarter berth. Bob

D

David

hot water for what

I found a "point of use" water heater, made by Titan. It is 110 volt. It is mostly plastic, mostly square, fit on the "shelf" inside the front of the port lazeret of my 78 c-30. Was around $100. At the Home Depot. Draw back is it is only three gallon.. fine for dishes, hand washing, shaveing, and not much more. An accumulator would be needed with the old type pumps (on/off). The newest pumps will supply constant even pres. till the tank runs dry. How many people realy shower in there c-30 anyway??

Status
Not open for further replies.