Please help ID this freshwater tubing

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Trying to install an under-sink Pentek slimline filter canister to the cold water tubing that exists as installed by the factory. Obtained 1/2" pex tubing and push on fittings, but the factory installed grey tubing looks very slightly smaller than the 1/2" pex tubing, and when I disconnected it at one T-junction it has a molded bulbous end like the flared end of a brake line - see pics. Is there anyway, ie what kind of fittings to adapt the two types to each other before I go and cut the tubing that was factory installed?

Thanks. Ilan

Attachments

Jul 4, 2015
Amazing! Thank you so much. Ran to Ace and Big Box stores without a good answer!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Ilan, our boat has the same stuff that was manufacturer discontinued several years ago. Good stuff when correctly installed. Wrote an article about it awhile ago here: https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=8305&mn=42

Only place I can find parts is online. Big box store, nope. Search for Zurn Pex Qest. The tubing for ours is 1/2" OD. Here is a sample fitting that includes the correct parts: https://www.amazon.com/Qestpex-qick...rn+pex+tool&qid=1564876924&s=gateway&sr=8-288

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Thanks. Now the question is, is this a custom size or will it fit the Sharkbite coupling to connect it to 1/2" PEX so I can connect it to the water filter? I'm afraid to cut this tubing as it seems there will be no way to rectify this cut once made and then finding out it won't fit the coupling properly!

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Ilan,
I replaced my entire freshwater piping on my 2000 340, a few years back. It was the same original piping you have.
I went from the 1/2 inch to 15 mm .
I used "FreshWaterSystem" for my connections and tubing. They have good pricing and fittings for most applications. Try them, the may have a connector that is compatible or that will allow you to go from 1/2 inch to 15 mm or another diameter and use it get you to the canister for the short run you need.

Jul 4, 2015
Thanks; really don't want to replace the system now; is working well.

Dec 25, 2000
Thanks; really don't want to replace the system now; is working well.
Ditto. Ours is 1991 original and still works well. I did have a fitting failure a few years ago due to an improper original installation (failed to use the SS retainer ring causing the hose to blow out of the fitting). Otherwise, the stuff is bullet proof and easy to work with. No plans here to replace.

Apr 21, 2015
Hunter 380 Deale, MD
I had an adapter in my fresh water system break. I found information on the broken adapter. It is a gray polybutylene hose adapter that was discontinued around 1999. The problem is they tend to break after about 10 years. I found a replacement at www.plumbingsupply.com/.com

FYI... I tried the 3/8" Sharkbite adapter but it would not seal and leaked.

Randal Burnette / 2000 H380

Jul 4, 2015
I had an adapter in my fresh water system break. I found information on the broken adapter. It is a gray polybutylene hose adapter that was discontinued around 1999. The problem is they tend to break after about 10 years. I found a replacement at www.plumbingsupply.com/.com

FYI... I tried the 3/8" Sharkbite adapter but it would not seal and leaked.

Randal Burnette / 2000 H380
link to a specific item doesn't work. Which adapter did you use? What is the actual size? Thanks. Ilan

Apr 21, 2015
Hunter 380 Deale, MD
Ilan;

The website address is correct, but somehow an extra /.com was added to the address making the link fail. Try:
www.plumbingsupply.com

The link to the polybutylene parts webpage is:

You may need to type it directly into your browser. I ordered:

Polybutylene QickTite Nut Only 1/4" Nom. (fits 3/8" outside diameter pipe)

Q. "What does Nominal mean?"
A. "Nominal" refers to the inside diameter of the pipe, which varies by thickness of the pipe. The outside is a constant size and is always 1/8" larger than the nominal size. Example: 1/2" nominal is always 5/8" O.D. (Outside Diameter)

This is the result of a good bit of web research. I hope it helps.

Randal

Dec 25, 2000
This is the result of a good bit of web research. I hope it helps.
Thanks Randal for your research efforts. I've been looking high and low for a reasonable supply of the Zurn Pex stuff and the site you found was a big help. I have some spare fittings that I've collected, so do not need anything at the moment, but I now know where to go.

Jul 4, 2015
Thanks Randal for your research efforts. I've been looking high and low for a reasonable supply of the Zurn Pex stuff and the site you found was a big help. I have some spare fittings that I've collected, so do not need anything at the moment, but I now know where to go.
very helpful.Thanks.