PHRF Rated 380

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy Hansom

Just got our rating today on our 380. The SO CA.PHRF thinks this is a fast boat they gave it a rating of 102. Seems strange the 376 in our harbor has a rating of 144. Must be the arch Andy Hansom S/V Vanishing Point

B

Bob Knott

No Way to make that rating

I've owned my 380 and sailed it in New England last year and there is no way to make it sail to a 109. Rating in NE is 129 and it can't make that either, especially when pointing against deep keeled boats or any kind of down wind drag race. Now if they gave a 165 I could win a few, but 109, you're in big trouble. I'd appeal for a lower rating. Good luck Bob Knott H380

J

Jay Hill

Did they use the application measurements or not?

This is always a fun question when applying with a new boat. If you look at the entire list of PHRF from the SOCAL PHRF list, the HUN380 would fall right between HUN37LEG (114) and the HUN40 (102). So, you got the same rating as the 40 although the boat is 6" shorter at DWL and several inches narrower. I think the problem is the "advertised" sail plan. Did you put actual measurements on your application or the numbers from Hunter? According to Hunter, the 380 has more sail than the 40. Who knows? This is why beer and BBQ is still the best part of racing.

S

Scott

Wish I was racing against you

Our 1983 H34 shoal keel (loaded with cruising gear) has been rated 146. Guess I should stop wondering about it's accuracy and concentrate on trim (difficult with 17yr old baggy sails). Can't believe your a 109. One of the chaps at the club has a new Catalina 40 arriving soon and he will be rated at 126! Scott 83-H34 Island Hops

A

Andy Hansom

measurment

When I sent in the application it asked only for I,J,P,E, so I don't think they used adverised sail area. We will find out soon about the rating we are going to sail the Newport to Ensanada race. Its about 125 miles downwind with 500+ boats.We will also be using my secret weapon (a new HOW cruising spinnaker) Andy Hansom

B

BK

H380 rating

They must be smoking something out there in California. The 410 is rated 120 here on Lake Erie and I'm not too sure that's fair. Note that rated sail area is usally for a 100% foretriangle. Did your committee consider that you can not use overlapping jibs? 102 might be fair on a reach with AWA of 80 to 120 degrees in winds of 10-15 knts, anything else and the 380 has no chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.