Phase Separation - !@#%^&* Ethanol

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I decided to empty a dinghy tank that has had ethanol gas in it for about 60 days.. It was treated when I bought it, using ethanol treatment.
phase separation.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The problem is not in the use of E-10, but in the long term storage of it.
Actually the same is true for diesel.

In most cases of E-10, and diesel, it is the fuel source.
____
Once the water separates, it is too late and the distributors know it. [it is a shame you can't report the filling station]

If E-0 is not available, use it quickly.
Jim...

PS: Even tho my car can use E-10 and circumstance makes me use it, I then put back E-0 to reduce separation and use the tank till near empty. I use my car more than dink.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
So I can see the layers, draw off the top liquid and that should be ethanol free, eh? U-tube had a guy doing that with a 5 gallon can, eventually he had 4.5 gallons of ethanol free.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I remember reading somewhere that what you draw off is not a good burning fuel. I don't remember the details or where I saw the article. Maybe one of the chemical experts here can enlighten.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
No offense but I have a hard time seeing it getting that yellow in 60 days. I would question how it looked being pumped and if the can was already contained.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Actually, one way of removing the ethanol from gas is to add water, still, let it settle and then siphon off the water underneath it Any remaining small amount of water can be removed by adding anhydrous magnesium sulfate and the filtering out the resulting particles.

Jun 14, 2010
No offense but I have a hard time seeing it getting that yellow in 60 days. I would question how it looked being pumped and if the can was already contained.
I am offended.
This is from a dinghy that is kept on a dock. It wasn’t used much this summer because we kept our sail boat elsewhere. The dinghy has two 3-gallon gas tanks that are alternated in use. When one gets low it is taken off and the remaining gas is siphoned into my car then filled from empty. Stabilizer is added when the tank is filled.
The image I posted is what it is. If you don’t believe it then “no offense” you have a problem.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
What is "ethanol treatment?"
Here are a few. I’ve tried all three. I don’t think any of these work very well but I use them anyway and if the gas is older than 30 days I try to dilute into my car tank to use it up before it gets too stale. They don’t sell anything other than ethanol around here.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks. I confess I haven't recently had problems of this kind. Several years ago I siphoned quite a lot of water from my outboard tank, but it hasn't happened again since. I go through maybe 12 gallons in a season, buying it four gallons at a time. Then the tank sits in my garage all winter. I check for water in the Spring, and if none, just use the gas as-is.

Oct 2, 2008
Sorry my mind is getting a little slow. In a marina in Portland, Maine they have three or four little bottles on display showing treated fuel and fuel separation in each different brand. Except for one treatment made by a company in Lewiston, Maine. I’ll get back to you with a name if they are still around.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I have to drive 20 to 70 miles to get E-0 in NYC area. The 20 mile drive sells 100 octane racing fuel at $9.99 a gallon, cash only. Otherwise have to drive up state near Albany to find E-0. Used stabilized E-10 lately. At one point the only way the engine would run is with the choke full on. Cleaned the carburetor and all is good again, til next time. Is there a conspiracy in NYC area to ruin small engines?

Jun 14, 2010
I have to drive 20 to 70 miles to get E-0 in NYC area. The 20 mile drive sells 100 octane racing fuel at $9.99 a gallon, cash only. Otherwise have to drive up state near Albany to find E-0. Used stabilized E-10 lately. At one point the only way the engine would run is with the choke full on. Cleaned the carburetor and all is good again, til next time. Is there a conspiracy in NYC area to ruin small engines?
I use TruFuel from the local Home Depot for my small engines (the 2.5HP dinghy, snowblower, etc) that have built-in tanks. It's too expensive for the larger (20HP) dinghy though so I rotate the tanks to make sure I have fresh gas, as mentioned in a prior post.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Didn't know about TruFuel. Since I use at most 3 gallons of gas a year, I'll give it a try. Meanwhile, I keep an empty gas can in the car in case I happen upon an E-0 station on my travels.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I wonder if local humidity has something to do with the OP picture?

I just buy what is at the local pump but add Seafoam. A few days ago, I started my 2000W genset (home use) that had been sitting for over a year with gas and Seafoam in the tank. Started right up and seemed to run just fine. The genset lives at about 8700 ft elevation so dry air. Ive been doing this with all the small motors I own (two outboards, chain saw, genset, lawn mower) and have had no issue since using Seafoam. But.. all the small outboards and the gas tanks live in low humidity spots.

Jun 14, 2010
I wonder if local humidity has something to do with the OP picture?

I just buy what is at the local pump but add Seafoam. A few days ago, I started my 2000W genset (home use) that had been sitting for over a year with gas and Seafoam in the tank. Started right up and seemed to run just fine. The genset lives at about 8700 ft elevation so dry air. Ive been doing this with all the small motors I own (two outboards, chain saw, genset, lawn mower) and have had no issue since using Seafoam. But.. all the small outboards and the gas tanks live in low humidity spots.
I do think local humidity plays a role, and also that my tank was exposed in an open boat to the sun, accentuating heat/cool. However, this was one of the new (pressure) tanks that don't breath as much, so I think the main issue is still instability in the ethanol blend. If you do a web search on "ethanol phase separation" you will find lots of info, including pictures like mine.
Edit: One report sponsored by an industry association says phase separation takes at least 2-3 months, but the ethanol gas gets stale before that. I think that's generous, keeping in mind who sponsored that study, but it's consistent with my findings after 60 days. Maybe the stabilizer I'm using is voodoo

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Sorry my mind is getting a little slow. In a marina in Portland, Maine they have three or four little bottles on display showing treated fuel and fuel separation in each different brand. Except for one treatment made by a company in Lewiston, Maine. I’ll get back to you with a name if they are still around.
The treatment I saw was from Future Fuels Technology, sounds official but maybe the old man kicked off and the secret went with him.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
With just a little bit of effort, time, equipment and a mess you can remove the ethanol from the gas. The process is all over youtube. Basically you add water to a can of E10, shake, let sit, decant. The gas floats on top of the water/ethanol. This isn't practical if need a lot of fuel but for a small outboard it could work.

I used a similar process to clean/rinse several hundred gallons of biodiesel that I made over several years. Gasoline is much more flammable, be careful!

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I am offended.
This is from a dinghy that is kept on a dock. It wasn’t used much this summer because we kept our sail boat elsewhere. The dinghy has two 3-gallon gas tanks that are alternated in use. When one gets low it is taken off and the remaining gas is siphoned into my car then filled from empty. Stabilizer is added when the tank is filled.
The image I posted is what it is. If you don’t believe it then “no offense” you have a problem.
Take it easy Larry...... that doesn't rule out it being contained before going into your tank. If all gas looked like that after sitting for 2 months we whould all be stranded somewhere or never be able to get our lawnmowers going.