pedestal guard installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Need some advice on the best way to instal a pedestal guard. Mainly the feet. I am somewhat hesitant to drill holes through the cockpit floor. Are there any other ways to secure it with out having to drill? Thanks!

W

Warren Milberg

Pedestal guards

serve a lot of purposes. In addition to serving as a mounting place for a variety of instruments, it is an all-purpose grab rail. As such, it's got to be VERY firmly mounted. Most pedestals have a mounting bracket for each foot that requires holes, normally 1/4-inch or so, to be drilled thru the cockpit for mounting bolts (which should be backed up with heavy a fender washers) which should be caulked in place. Then the pedestal is secured by a bracket plate that normally fits under the binnacle mounted compass. You will really like having a pedestal guard and will find it very useful -- all the more so by insuring it is mounted as securely as you can get it.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Yes, but

You could 5200 sealant it but the fact that everybody will be using it as a grab rail would make that folly. Imagine that the sealant lets go as you are using the guard to steady yourself during some maneuver. You could end up overboard. Better I think to have a leak problem than a security problem. If you use a generous mitten full of polysulfide sealant you should have a trouble free setup for years.

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
Pedestal Guard

The feet that I recieved with mine were through bolt items. I used life caulk and big stainless washers. It's only been a year, but no leaks yet. It sucks to have to drill through the cockpit floor but there's no other way to make it solid. You should drill the hole larger than you need, insert a bent nail and remove the core material and fill with thickened epoxy. Then re-drill the hole. this will keep the water from ever getting into the core.

B

Benny

Know of no other way. How do you think the

manufacturers install them. Measure twice and drill once. Use plenty of sealant. Drilling through a piece of tape prevents the fiberglass from splintering. Installed a pedestal guard years ago in our h27 cherubini and have had no leaks nor problems.

B

Bob

You don't have to drill

.. holes in order to install the pedistal guard. Mine is free floating at the base and is not bolted to the deck but is held securely against the pedistal itself. Don't think the boss would allow me to drill holes into the deck even if I wanted to anyway.

B

Bruce K

No Sweat

My '94 30T came with a guard fastened to the pedestal, not the floor....I beleive you can still get this type from Edson....save a lot os "trips"...

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 260 Portland, OR
Does anyone ever trip on the guard?

We're thinking of mounting a pedestal guard as well. Our cockpit floor space is kind of tight. Does anyone ever stub their toes on the guard or guard feet?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Bend the legs and screw into the pedestal

Tom: Our Hunter 31 had the legs bent with flanges welded to the legs. This allowed the legs to be bolted to the pedestal. Very sturdy and prevented the obvious (leaks & stubbed toes).

Jun 3, 2004
My Opinion

A pedestal guard somewhat restricts passage around the pedestal and I occasionally catch a foot on it but never to the point that it is a big problem. You quickly learn to live with the restricted space and the advantages of having a firm pedestal guard far outweigh the disadvantages.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33_77-83 Lake Lanier GA
could not do without mine

On our Hunter33(1982) we have had one since first purchasing the boat in 1982. There were some issues after a few years with leaks, but fixed those using epoxy to replace core material in the area where the its through bolted. Also, I made fiberglass bases which raise the mount pionts about an inch, water flows around the bases on its way to the cockpit drain. The best option, is the the cockpit table. I would install the pedestal guard just for that option alone. Good Luck. David Underwood

Status
Not open for further replies.