Parts and costs of adding an outboard to a 1990s 26X

Dec 16, 2019
Macgregor 26 Inshore Alabama
Hi folks - I'm looking pretty seriously at a 1998 26X. The one issue is - it doesn't have an outboard installed, and it looks like it never did. My question is - what equipment do I need for the steering, motor mount, motor controls/indications on the console, and engine electrical? I've read a few opinions on motors, I'm looking for something in the 50hp range. And most importantly, whats a ballpark on cost? The boat is otherwise in good shape other than the sails, which are usable but a little soft and stained.

IMG_0010.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I buy and flip sailboats on a regular cycle. I've fully restored seven and I'm working on one now. I have also helped friends buy at least that many more. Here is my #1 rule when buying a used trailer sailboat...

THE BOAT IS FREE!!!!

You are actually buying the outboard, sails, trailer and any accessories the P.O. installed on the boat.

To get a 50 HP Tohatsu professionally installed with steering etc. is going to get close to $10K. New sails will be another $3K.

I'd look for another boat that is already tricked out with newer sails and a good O.B. in the $15K range.

2 cents and worth every penny.....

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Do you want to sail, or do you want a powerboat? For that boat size you could get by with a 10HP outboard as an auxiliary engine. With throttle/shift controls you can probably get a brand new Mercury for under $2,700. The engine would sit in a fixed position with no need for steering mechanism. One caveat, handling in close quarters would require practice.

Dec 16, 2019
Do you want to sail, or do you want a powerboat?
I'd like both (if I'm going with the 26X), because the hull shape is a compromise between higher speed motoring and sailing. Otherwise i'm leaning towards a more traditional centerboard based trailer sailboat, but I miss out on the ability to see most of the lake I'm on.

I considered going with a weaker kicker engine it seemed like from reading others experiences with the Mac26 that wasn't workable - most were having trouble maintaining steerage with lower horsepower engines.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
You need the outboard, controls, wiring, fuel tanks, and a motor steering connector. I would suggest getting the quick disconnect type such as:

There is a "sweet" spot where the 26m wanders. X-models may behave similar. Low speed is ok, planing is fine, but there is a band in between that requires constant correction.

If you are on an inland lake (Martin, etc), a planing capability would add another dimension to the boat (tubing, wake boarding,etc). My 60 etec pushes my boat at 20 mph with 4 adults and no ballast.

I agree with @rgranger. You're looking at $10-15k to put new power on (turn-key). You might find used available, but you need to research the history of the motor if you buy used.

Boat will be useable as a sailboat with a small motor, but you'll be missing a key feature of these boats.

If you can, tell us what you're going to have to pay for the boat. Advice is somewhat price contingent.

• Helpful
Dec 16, 2019
You need the outboard, controls, wiring, fuel tanks, and a motor steering connector. I would suggest getting the quick disconnect type such as:

There is a "sweet" spot where the 26m wanders. X-models may behave similar. Low speed is ok, planing is fine, but there is a band in between that requires constant correction.

If you are on an inland lake (Martin, etc), a planing capability would add another dimension to the boat (tubing, wake boarding,etc). My 60 etec pushes my boat at 20 mph with 4 adults and no ballast.

I agree with @rgranger. You're looking at $10-15k to put new power on (turn-key). You might find used available, but you need to research the history of the motor if you buy used.

Boat will be useable as a sailboat with a small motor, but you'll be missing a key feature of these boats.

If you can, tell us what you're going to have to pay for the boat. Advice is somewhat price contingent.
Its listed for $8500, which most of the ones with engines are around $13-15K. I'm on Lake Wedowee (1 lake north of Martin on the Tallapoosa River system) and I've only seen one other sailor on the lake- plenty of wind though.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
If you could find one for $15k that was a fresh water boat with good sails and maybe a repower in the last five years, it might be a better purchase. (+1 @rgranger above).

Although photos don't usually give an accurate portrayal of condition, the boat looks to be in good shape. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, it might make sense to pay $8500, buy sails, and plunk down $10k for a motor (assuming the boat and trailer look great when you lay hands on it.). If this is a "try it to see if I like it boat", you may want to pay a bit more for one that already has good sails and a good motor. If you are going for a try and flip, you may want to pass this one.

I bought my 26m with all of the accessories (stern rail seats, roller main, roller Genoa, mast raising rig), good sails, and a low hour motor for $24k. The whole rig was 2-3 yrs old. If you pay $8.5k, plus sails, plus motor, you'll be approaching my commitment for an older boat and trailer. In my case, it will probably be my forever boat, so spending that much worked for me. I've had to have the bolt rope replaced in my main ($150). Otherwise, I've only spent normal maintenance money. You can go to an online sail site and see what a set of sails cost to add to your decision data.

Just throwing out my thought process. You may have different priorities. If you have a nice spot with good wind, you will have fun - as long as your sails are decent. Hope you find a boat that suits you soon.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Well I think you have an answer then since new motor and updated sails will be way more then ones selling complete right now. You are halfway between Mobile and Lake Guntersville so a trailer from those areas to you opens up options. Have you asked what the current owner has been doing? It's winter and prices should be dropping, I'd pass on that unless you can get it for at least have the asking price because basically you have no motor and you need new sails.

I know this boat and couple, it is in excellent shape and should be super nice on your small lake area.

kenr74

May 3, 2019
Magregor 26S Oregon
I agree with the others. Seems overpriced to me considering what you will need to add.