Painting Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2009
Lancer 28 Elberton, GA
Greetings and salutations, fellow sailboat owners!

After the past week on the boat for spring break vacation we managed to install two solar vents, a cockpit light, a couple new bumpers, new Bimini straps, and then tore down the carpet the previous owner had glued to the ceiling and side walls. Now---we want to paint it white---any suggestions on paint for the interior?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good evening Evermoore. I pulled my headliner for better access to the hardware on the coach roof . I sanded, primed and painted using Rust-Oleum oil-based paint. The finish coat was gloss white with 3 drops of blue added and I really like the result. I'll post photos later.

-----
The reason for adding the three drops of blue per quart was I remember reading in one of Lin and Larry Pardey's books about their cabin looking much better with a little blue added...like when mom would add blueing to the wash 50 years ago(;-)

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2013
MacGregor 26S High Desert
I know this is a little older thread, but that is some outstanding work Steve! How's it holding up?

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
The paint is doing fine. Remember that boats on trailers don't get the same abuse as those spending their lives on the water.

Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
I am about to paint the interior of my boat and I think I will do the same.

Steve, can you tell us what you did for sanding, concerning the sanding grits you used. I was thinking 80, 120, then 220?

Can you also tell us what you used as the primer? was it a paint and primer or did you use an separate primer and then the paint? How many coats did it take to make it look smooth? Was it rolled on or sprayed? I have allot of little holes in the fiberglass from the vinyl and would feel much better if there was a primer that would fill the holes instead of physically filling them with bondo or something. Please help

thanks in advance

Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
ahh I see it was oil based paint. I take it there was a certain primer used before paint. I take it you can get this paint in any home depot or lowes?

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I've used Pettit Easypoxy on fiberglass inside and outside the boat with good results. Also, our local Ace hardware sells a polyurathane one part paint that can be tinted and works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.