Paint

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Did you use the primer? Brightsides should cover with just one coat over a white primer, 2 is ideal but three isn't necessary.

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
I used the Interlux Brightsides paint and I applied it using the roll and tip process. In response to Cloud Diver's question, the sailboat shop told me not to buy the primer - I sanded and went straight to paint. It took three coats.

They also told me that I needed two gallons. It took just under one full gallon to put on three coats. The final coat went on today (instead of watching the Packers get beat). Pics are attached.

It isn't perfect. There are a few drips and you can see some brush lines, but I'm delighted with it. It looks so much better than it did.

Is there a final buffing, waxing or something else that I need to do as a final finish?

Attachments

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
It looks great, and your results have encouraged me to consider painting my tired old boat.

Nov 17, 2013
I'm not very handy, generally. So, I am thrilled with the way it came out. Others might be more critical, I can see a few runs or drips in the final finish, but it looks good from 20 feet and looks much better than when I started. I count that as a success.

I'd like to tackle the bottom next - just not yet. I need to recover from this first.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Waxing or polishing a brand new coat of paint will just dull the finish. When it starts to lose gloss after a few years, then wax it. But by then you'll probably have enough dings and scratches that you'll want to repaint anyway. The advantage of the two part paints is they are very hard to scratch and they hold their gloss much longer, so you don't have to repaint as often. At the expense of being much harder to apply. I actually enjoy painting, so I use the cheaper stuff and do it more often.

Nov 17, 2013
Mast is back up and boat is back in the storage yard at the lake. First scratch is also in place because I could not put the v-bow stop back on the trailer after removing it to paint. I taped foam and a terry cloth towel over the v-bow stop bracket on the trailer, but that did not prevent a rub/scrape from developing while transporting. Ah well, looks like I will have to do some touching-up in that area. May not look as good as it did, but it will be good enough.

I did receive several compliments while at the lake yesterday. That gave me a warm and fuzzy.

It was 70+ with great wind yesterday. Unfortunately, by the time I got everything completed and the mast up, I was done. I didn't have enough energy left to take her out for a sail (plus it was closing in on 2:00p.m. by then). It also won't hurt to late the paint cure for another couple of weeks.

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Flamingo: your boat looks great. I'll be up at the lake tomorrow (going sailing for a few hours, although temps are only going to hit the low 50s) and hope to see your boat in the mast-up storage lot. Are you going to participate in the AYC Birthday Regatta? I am planning to, although I'll probably do the low key Trans-Loch race instead of racing in the C-22 one design fleet (I'll get back to Saturday racing with our Lake Pleasant C-22 in a few weeks). Again, great looking paint job.

Nov 17, 2013
I would like to participate in the Birthday Regatta, but I have never participated in an organized event like that and I think I need some more time at the helm under my belt first. There are also a few bits and pieces that I would like to fix and/or upgrade before putting myself in a lot of traffic. For the time being, I have been out pleasure sailing with no particular place to go - that's pretty easy. Once you have a mark to round with a handful of other boats, that's a whole new adventure. I'm building up to it, though.

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Flamingo: I consider myself to still be fairly new to sailing, and I too had to work up to sailing in organized events ... I still get the occasional jitters. I will race in the spring series with the local Arizona Yacht Club C-22 fleet at Lake Pleasant - nice bunch of folks. Races start on Feb-6 and are held every other Saturday through April. I'm often scrounging for crew - if you want to go out and check out racing this spring, give me a shout. Otherwise, I hope to see you and your newly painted on the lake soon. We had a nice sail on Saturday - light winds, but warm and sunny.