Padre Island, and South Padre Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob F.

Anyone have any experience/advice on sailing in Laguna Madre or up toward Corpus? Thanks, Bob

M

Mike Kinney

can't really sail the Laguna Madre

I'm not sure of the intent of your question. By "sailing the Laguna Madre" do you mean sailing throught it or actually spending some time sailing around that area? You can sail across the edge of the Laguna Madre in the ICW. However, with a boat of any significant draft you would not want to venture into the Laguna Madre. The whole thing is shallow and there are rocks--charted and not charted. Every year (late spring or early summer) for the past three years I have sailed from Matagorda Bay offshore to South Padre and then sailed back up the ICW. It is definitely one of my favorite cruises. The South Padre through Laguna Madre area offers much clearer water than we find up the coast. And, with a strong southerly wind (not easy to find this time of year, but common in the late spring and summer) you can easily sail from South Padre to Galveston with little engine time. Last year, my wife and I on our H340 sailed from Port Mansfield all the way to Port Aransas municipal marina in one day (about 100 miles). We averaged about 7 knots and sailed the entire distance. Feel fee to email me if I can provide more specific information.

J

Jim Cook

Fine in daylight, markers hard to see at night.

I've stayed between Rockport and Baffin Bay (south of CC). Next year I plan to sail to Brownsville or maybe even New Orleans (555 mi from CC on the ICW). Several friends really love the trip. I draft 4' and the Laguna is too shallow. Jim

B

Bob F.

South Padre sailing

Thanks to you all for the replies. It apparently is as I feared, too shallow for any meaningful activity. I have a Catalina 22 swing keel and wanted to take it down with us for January and February. The whole scene is so inviting but I kept noticing that there just weren't many sail boats in use. Now I know why. What a shame! Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.