P303 Boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulM

Apr 22, 2006
Pearson 303 Houston
I have the Isomat NB-26 boom on my P303 with internal reefing and outhaul. I'm trying to determine the routing of the reefing lines. The outhaul is straight forward I think. It’s wire at the clew with some kind of pulley system inside and line at the tack through the middle of three clutches. I'm assuming the reefing lines are for the clew only as there are hooks for the tack. There a couple of things I don’t understand. The boom has two external sheaves on the starboard side which look like they coincide with the reefs and several eye straps spaced out down the boom that look like they hold line, but I'm not sure how they are included. It also has two exit plates, one on each side about one third the way down from the gooseneck and with cleats for each. A third cleat is on the underside which I assume is for the outhaul. If anyone has a similar arrangement and can shed some light on the best way to rout the lines it would be appreciated. Paul P303, #224

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
Beyond me...

I have Hull #121 and have an in mast furler. Hang in there... I am sure you will get a response soon. It is all Greek to me. Rich

May 11, 2004
Pearson 303 Lake Charlevoix
My 303 boom configuration

Paul, Without pictures this might be hard, but here's a go... My 303 isomast boom has three lines running through it - from the base next to the mast, all the way to the end of the boom. The middle line is a rope/wire outhaul. I don't have a typical cleat, but instead the 'normal' jam-type cleat at the underside/base of the mast. The sides both have mid-boom exit plates with normal cleats. I also have two eye straps. Mine is rigged so that the portside is the first reef, the starboard the second. For the portside reef line, it goes through the exit plate, out the end of the boom, up to the port-side of the sail to the first reef point, back down to the eye strap. This line stays on the left-most (port) of the boom tracks. The starboard is just the opposite. I'd offer a pic, but my boat and boom are under a foot of snow right now! :) Let me know if this helps or if more clarification is needed. I can always try to draw a picture. Dave Crowley s/v Wind Dreamer II P303

P

Paul Marrack

Boom Reefing

Thanks for the input. I'll set it up like that for now and see if I can find a use for the other bits. Paul

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
Isomat in boom reefing

Paul, The in boom reefing setup from Isomat was the same for many sizes. See the link to Pearsoninfo for a drawing.

Nov 26, 2007
- - Horton Bay, MI
That's a good shot of the jiffy reef

That's a great pic - thanks for posting that. The jiffy reef and the standard reef are a bit different (due to the exit plates and the lack of a forward reef point) but if nothing else, it does show how the lines come out of the end of the boom! :) Dave Crowley s/v Wind Dreamer II P303

Status
Not open for further replies.