Outboard

Aug 21, 2018
Macgregor 26D Del river and forked river
Lol totally understand and I’m not a fan either but that’s what she’s got.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
@Ms Hope I have a 9.9 Evinrude on my 25' and wouldn't want anything less. We got caught in some heavy headwind and 3-4' waves last year. Had to use at least 3/4 throttle to make any progress. My primary reason for having that much power is for emergency stops. I'm sure we've all had close calls where we're wondering if the boat will stop in time. As one other person mentioned, this motor is too heavy to lift with your average motor mount. Contact me in a few months and I'll let you know if the same thing applies with my new motor mount

I also had an outboard touch the rudder on my last boat. I used a wider board on my outboard bracket and offset it. This allowed me to move the outboard a few inches further away. The only way they would touch was if I pointed the motor and rudder toward each other

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
The easiest prop protector I have read about is simple. A plastic cutting board mounted to the cavitation
plate on the motor and cut to shape to prevent the rudder eating prop from doing it's dastardly deed.:cool:

Jan 19, 2010
The easiest prop protector I have read about is simple. A plastic cutting board mounted to the cavitation
plate on the motor and cut to shape to prevent the rudder eating prop from doing it's dastardly deed.:cool:
@timebandit is on target with that idea. WM sells prop guards but they are not cheap.

1581544839584.png

Jan 19, 2010
hmmmm.... I wonder if you could make an inexpensive prop guard by slicing off the end of a 10" PVC pipe. Use a black piece of pipe and it would even look good also.

Aug 21, 2018
Macgregor 26D Del river and forked river
Thanks for the replies. Good information is always appreciated. The cost difference between an 8 and a 9.9 Isn’t bad, my main question I guess is if a shaft is longer than recommended is that a problem. Does it force the bow higher in forward and dip the stern in reverse? My old motor was a 9.9 25” shaft that only ever saw 1/2 throttle unless in an emergency like previous posts described. Thanks for any replies

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Thanks for the replies. Good information is always appreciated. The cost difference between an 8 and a 9.9 Isn’t bad, my main question I guess is if a shaft is longer than recommended is that a problem. Does it force the bow higher in forward and dip the stern in reverse? My old motor was a 9.9 25” shaft that only ever saw 1/2 throttle unless in an emergency like previous posts described. Thanks for any replies
At that hp on that size boat, you won't notice any change in boat attitude due to the longer shaft. Even if there was, you could adjust the trim on the motor to correct it.

Personally, the longer the better on a sailboat. It will keep the prop in the water more in big seas. My opinion, anyway (said the guy with a 60hp kicker...).