Outboard stuck in down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2011
Lancer PS27 Harrison Lake
Hi all, I'm needing a little bit of advice. The problem is that my 1985 90 hp Johnson motor needs an impeller. And I can't raise the motor from down to do that. They hydraulics sound like they are going, but no movement... And I tried using a large board, and ropes and pulleys and things to lever it up and out, but no luck. It only moved maybe 2 inches. I can't see anything that could be holding it back. I would rather not pay somebody to haul her out of the water to just change the impeller, what are my options? Any advice? Things I may have overlooked? Thanks! Ian

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sounds like the neutral/safety latch is frozen. Check the transmission lever. Do you have a repair manual?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you might want to check the hydrolic fluid in your trim pump it may be low...

regards

woody

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Go to this site http://www.crowleymarine.com/omc_parts/Johnson-Outboards.cfm
Find your motor by year, HP and number, then select power trim/tilt.
Once you're on the right page, look for valve, relief or something like that.
This valve will allow the hyd fluid to bypass and you should be able to lift the motor by hand.
I don't remember the direction or number of turns but as long as you're just trying by hand you shouldn't hurt anything.
There should be a Johnson forum or 3 that you could ask for help on your motor.

Apr 25, 2011
Lancer PS27 Harrison Lake
Hi all, Thanks for the replys! I think the fluid is low. As the pump doesn't sound like it's doing anything, but I need the motor up to replenish it! I did open up some kind of valve screw thing. Red fluid came out, but the motor didn't budge. Do you think it could have frozen on the pin/hinge thing?

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
The relief valve should be at the lower side of the trim tilt and probably accessible thru a hole in the motor mount bracket.
IIRC, it's a large whiteish nylon screw with a circlip around it to keep it from being turned out too far (contacts the motor mount).
There are a bunch of little valve covers that look like screw heads so study the illustrated parts break (Crowley Marine link) down before you start unscrewing things!
Lose a few parts and things can get pricey quick.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Hi all, Thanks for the replys! I think the fluid is low. As the pump doesn't sound like it's doing anything, but I need the motor up to replenish it! I did open up some kind of valve screw thing. Red fluid came out, but the motor didn't budge. Do you think it could have frozen on the pin/hinge thing?
it is very possible that has happened...spray the hinge with some P B blaster or Kroil if you can find some and let it sit ...then give it a go later on....

regards

woody

Status
Not open for further replies.