Outboard motor well

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roger

All 23 Gramps that i've seen have a motor well. Also they have all had a stern mounted motor bracket. As does mine. I am thinking of moving mine about 3" towards the centre, for convenience better balance & steering ... THEN i wondered... Why use the bracket at all!?? Anyone tried that? Why was the boat built to hang an OB, IF it's not practical? I have a new Merc 9.9 4-stroke long-shaft--20"... All comments will be appreciated... Roger

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
Hi Roger - Suggest you might look at these photos.

I don't know why anyone would hang an outboard motor bracket on the transom of a G-23. All G-23 and the vast majority of G-26 (probably 700 of the 980 made) were manufactured with the transom cut out and reinforced so you could easily mount an outboard. Some G-26 of course had inboard engines, and then the transom was not cut out by the factory. This cut out means that you can easily tilt the motor up when sailing without having to reach back and down to retract a motor bracket, plus this handy location makes it handy to start. I don't think I have ever seen a boat with a transom mounted rudder and an outboard motor mounted on the centre line of the vessel. They are always mounted off to the side - exactly like your G-23.

R

Roger

THANKS!!

WOW! For the photo link! Specially interesting was the boat with a "Pilot House"... I've been thinking of setting my pop-top in a permanent position & filling in with shaded Lexon... But that one looks as if a major reno was made? "Barnacle-bottom" is printed for our Club Bulletin Brd!! I believe i was "Inspired" :) to ask the question here!! Thanks for the "Revelation"!! However, I HOPE my new long-shaft--20" will not be too long?? IF so i can add to the transom height, with good reinforcement, i imagine?? Echoing your statement, "why would anyone add a motor bracket?"?? Thanks again, Roger

Apr 11, 2007
Grampian G-26 None yet
Hi Roger, I hate to hijack this thread but...

I've been trying to get ahold of you but can't seem to find an email address for you. I am new to sailing, and am looking at putting my boat in at the PLYC. It is a G-26, and I'm concerned about the mast height. Could I get in touch with you somehow? Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.