outboard motor shaft length

Jul 14, 2019
macgregor venture 17 meridian,ms
have a 1974 macgregor venture 17 would a long or short shaft 5 hp outboard be best,it has an outboard bracket on the boat

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Long sailboats always use long shaft to keep prop in water when boat hobby horses

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
On a 17, a 3 or 4 HP would be fine too.. but a long shaft works better than a sort shafted motor..

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
:plus: & :plus:

I have a Tohatsu 6 HP sailpro on my Hunter 26. I can hit hull speed at 3/4 throttle so what @kloudie1 said about a 3 or 4 HP is spot on. The smaller the O.B. the less gas they burn, the easier it is to take it home with you (so it won't get stolen) the easier it is to take it to a shop for repairs, the less squatting it produces etc. etc.

I opted for the 20" which is the "long" shaft version. They also sell a 25". I wish I had opted for the 25". @Whatfiero1 mentioned hobby horsing but you can also motor sail and if your O.B. is a short shaft and is to windward, the prop will come out of the water when you heel. In an extreme situation like a T-storm micro burst, you can find yourself heeled over even with the sails down and again, if your O.B. is to windward and is a short shaft, your prop will come out of the water and you lose all propulsion. Not a common problem but not the sort of problem you want when other bad stuff is already happening.

Jul 14, 2019
macgregor venture 17 meridian,ms
thanks for that info,will be taking the boat to the ms. gulf coast

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
It seems to also depends on the motor mount on your vessel and how much it raises/lowers. In addition to accounting for the prop coming out of the water, you'd want to be sure the powerhead doesn’t go under when the bow rises (or a big following wave). Anyone checked specs on mounts to see which give the greatest vertical adjustment? Logically, combining the greatest vertical adjustment and longest shaft length seems to offer the most flexibility.

Nov 28, 2017
Venture V-17 1143 Ludington, MI
The long shaft is definitely preferable. On my V-17 I have a 4hp 2 stroke Mariner long shaft which works perfect. It easily takes it up to hull speed and has enough reserve to handle heavy wind and waves when you really need it too. A smaller motor might be adequate for most situations, depends on where you are going to be sailing. A short shaft will pop out of the water whenever you encounter some real waves but could work in calm waters only.