Outboard Motor Mount on Stern Pushpit - 2005 Hunter 36

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Hunter 36 Bayport Yachting Center
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering what mount works best. i've got a 6 HP Tohatsu (~57 lbs). I tried the Victory mount, which holds 80 lbs, but the rail is round at the 'T' so this won't work.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who found a mount that works.

AA84021_large.jpg

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I've got the same mount - but mounted next to the T and it works fine - I've used it with engines from 2.5 to 5 hp

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
doesn't it swing freely due to no T to stabilize it?
no - it's tight on the horizontal rail and the weight of the engine stabilizes it; it's been fine in 10ft seas....

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Whats the vertical piece for? To prevent the bottom of the mount from swinging inwards?
Correct. The motor stem would prevent that as well, but the piece of marine board does it better. It rests against the seat when in use.

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Correct. The motor stem would prevent that as well, but the piece of marine board does it better. It rests against the seat when in use.
Did you make that piece or did you buy it that way? Looks like you may have added that. Would you mind sharing the manufacturer?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Seeing as you do not (if I understand you rightly) have a "T" in you upper railing, you might get something like this cut from Starboard.

I have a woodworking shop and cut out the internal bores with a 1" bull nose router bit. The plates are 3/4" Starboard. The bottom bore is only partial but allows you to attach a 1" SS tube to a lower rail with a clamp on fitting. No worry about it ever rotating about the upper rail.

Mount.jpg

• Helpful

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
Seeing as you do not (if I understand you rightly) have a "T" in you upper railing, you might get something like this cut from Starboard.

I have a woodworking shop and cut out the internal bores with a 1" bull nose router bit. The plates are 3/4" Starboard. The bottom bore is only partial but allows you to attach a 1" SS tube to a lower rail with a clamp on fitting. No worry about it ever rotating about the upper rail.

View attachment 193512
thats a good idea. thanks!

Jan 4, 2006
thats a good idea. thanks. where would i but the s/s tube and clamp on fitting?
1" SS tubing can be found in short lengths at most marine shops. The SS fitting is commonly used in dodgers and other canvas fittings. As a last desperate measure, check online for these.

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
thats a good idea. thanks. where would i but the s/s tube and clamp on fitting?
1" SS tubing can be found in short lengths at most marine shops. The SS fitting is commonly used in dodgers and other canvas fittings. As a last desperate measure, check online for these.
Did you clamp it on both ends to the horizontal tubing? Or is it 'floating' within the motor mount?

Jan 4, 2006
Did you clamp it on both ends to the horizontal tubing?
The horizontal tube is the original solid SS tube. Remember, what you're looking at is two 3/4" Star plates with half holes in them slapped together on either side of the tube.

Engine Mount.jpg

The 3/8" bolts clamp the whole thing together. Top, bottom, sides, it's all tightly clamped together with the bolts.

Don't know why someone is not manufacturing these things yet. Easy to fab and neatly fits just about any railing arrangement.

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
The horizontal tube is the original solid SS tube. Remember, what you're looking at is two 3/4" Star plates with half holes in them slapped together on either side of the tube.

View attachment 193527

The 3/8" bolts clamp the whole thing together. Top, bottom, sides, it's all tightly clamped together with the bolts.

Don't know why someone is not manufacturing these things yet. Easy to fab and neatly fits just about any railing arrangement.
Thanks Ralph. that looks like a good approach. I think I can just take my victory mount and add a vertical SS tube.

Jan 4, 2006
I think I can just take my victory mount and add a vertical SS tube.
Yes, looking back at the Victory mount, if it's made from a solid material, just get a tube of the right length, hang a "T" fitting on it, attach to a lower horizontal tube, and you're off to the races. Please post a picture of the finished job when complete as I' like to see it.

drm1

Sep 13, 2020
pe
Yes, looking back at the Victory mount, if it's made from a solid material, just get a tube of the right length, hang a "T" fitting on it, attach to a lower horizontal tube, and you're off to the races. Please post a picture of the finished job when complete as I' like to see it.
perfect. will do

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I have a Yamaha 9.9 weighs around 95lbs on a West Marine mount that goes over the T section of the pushpit tubing.

Has seen little action since I only got it 2 days ago, but was in 4ft seas for 20 minutes as a went out, and then changed my mind and came back in the Ft. Pierce inlet. Didn't move during that, but its hardly a significant test. Does seem pretty solid though.