Original Keel Turning Ball + Question about Keel Cable Hose

Mar 31, 2019
Catalina 22 12640 Rose City Yacht Club
Hi all,

Tonight I replaced the keel lifting hardware on my C22 since I was fairly certain it was very old, if not original. I'm using the CD kit. Sure enough, the keel turning ball looked as if it hadn't turned in years. I'm not sure how well this will come through, but the left side of the turning ball in the photo is clearly worn through.

IMG_2906.jpeg

Question about the keel cable hose: I'm replacing the keel cable hose as well. Does this get glued onto the volcano with something like 4200? Or are the hose clamps sufficient to keep it sealed?

Thanks!

Andre

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
It generally gets installed with the 2 supplied hose clamps -- one to keep the water out and the second as a backup to the 1st. I had to heat the hose up with a heat gun to get it to go on the volcano. Though a pot of hot water would have probably worked just as well.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
are the hose clamps sufficient to keep it sealed
Volcano pipe is double clamped with 2 hose clamps Put the gear adjustment on opposite sides.
Similar to other hoses attached to seacocks.

I check ours regularly.
One day in my fantasy world of additional free time, I plan to make an emergency wood bung/plug for it, just like you would for seacocks.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Volcano pipe is double clamped with 2 hose clamps Put the gear adjustment on opposite sides.
Similar to other hoses attached to seacocks.

I check ours regularly.
One day in my fantasy world of additional free time, I plan to make an emergency wood bung/plug for it, just like you would for seacocks.
As usual, @Maine Sail has a relevant article. Worth reading. The hose clamps in the Catalina Direct kit are good quality. If you need to replace them, be sure to buy good 316 SS non-perforated ones.

In addition to the volcano, we have the cockpit drain and a (non-functional) speed log paddlewheel, so 3 through-hulls in that area. I keep a tapered wooden plug and a length of bicycle inner tube there (twist tied to something, so they stay put, but should be easy to release if needed). I've had no need to test it, but I saw a recommendation that wrapping inner tube around a leaking pipe (e.g. the volcano hose) would slow a leak. Seems sensible and worth having around. Also, I keep a stubby hammer to pound in the wooden plug (in a big ziplock with my rigging cable cutters and a bit of dessicant). That serves my paranoid tendencies.

Jul 11, 2019
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe, TX
You do not need the seal the hose with sealer. The two clamps provided by Catalina are of high-quality. When I had trouble getting mine over the boat fitting, I used dish soap inside the hose. Make sure you get it down as far as it will go You should put the clamps on as previously stated with the clamp screws on each side of the hose, just make sure that you have them low enough on the hose so they squeeze the hose to the boat fitting. Hopefully you are doing this in conjunction with changing the centerboard winch over to the new style if you have an older boat. The spindle on the original Catalina winch was too small in diameter and caused the cable to “fishhook” and then ultimately break from being bent too much over the smaller spindle.

• Helpful
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The spindle on the original Catalina winch was too small in diameter and caused the cable to “fishhook” and then ultimately break from being bent too much over the smaller spindle.
Interesting info. Any idea what years that was ?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
be sure to buy good 316 SS non-perforated ones
They sell non perforated 316 stainless clamps for automotive performance/racing use . I found them cheaper than "marine" sold ones. Just make sure they are the same spec.

Jul 11, 2019
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe, TX
Interesting info. Any idea what years that was ?
My boat is a 1972. You could call Catalina tech-support and they could tell you when they started putting the updated keel winches in Catalina 22’s. The original spindle was a small diameter. As you can see from this picture from Catalina Direct the center spindle on the new keel winch is larger in diameter The new one cost about 180 something dollars. You will also need a new cable.
1623162575386.jpeg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
My boat is a 1972. You could call Catalina tech-support and they could tell you when they started putting the updated keel winches in Catalina 22’s
Yup. Ours is a 87 new design. I didnt realize Catalina changed the winch over time. I havent seen it mentioned as a "new Design" change so i am guessing it happened much earlier.

Mar 31, 2019
Catalina 22 12640 Rose City Yacht Club
You do not need the seal the hose with sealer. The two clamps provided by Catalina are of high-quality. When I had trouble getting mine over the boat fitting, I used dish soap inside the hose. Make sure you get it down as far as it will go You should put the clamps on as previously stated with the clamp screws on each side of the hose, just make sure that you have them low enough on the hose so they squeeze the hose to the boat fitting. Hopefully you are doing this in conjunction with changing the centerboard winch over to the new style if you have an older boat. The spindle on the original Catalina winch was too small in diameter and caused the cable to “fishhook” and then ultimately break from being bent too much over the smaller spindle.
Thanks for the guidance. The PO replaced the original winch with the CD winch a few years before I bought her, so I'm in good shape there. My primary motivation for replacing the lifting hardware was that the pendant attached to the aft end of the keel was bent in a way that I wasn't comfortable with. And the hose seemed very old/original.