original C22 model halyard and sheet lengths?

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Before i'm told to go search or read the manuel let me say I have tried those options and several others.
The 87 manuel says jib halyard 63' main halyard 60'. My question is this for all line (rope) not half wire and half line and leading lines back to cockpit. I expect my 1972 C22 would be about the same.
What about the line diameter? my guess is 5/16"
110% Jib sheet length approx 36' 5/16 diameter is my guess.
Can anyone confirm or give me the info, or tell me where to search.
Thank you James

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I used Stingy Sailor's guide for lines led aft which includes all line halyards, not 1/2 wire 1/2 line. Those lengths are long enough to go back to the cockpit with a little extra for splicing. Funny thing is the lengths for halyards are the same as what you mentioned in your post. The size for halyards is 8mm New England Ropes VPC Hybrid, which I believe is a little bigger than 5/16 but a little smaller than 3/8". This requires new sheaves in the Masthead, but the ones he used are 'stock' Ronstan sheaves that are much cheaper than the CD kit for internal halyards (but his method keep the halyards outside the mast)

For Halyards its the 8mm, 65 ft for foresail halyard, 60 feet for mainsail halyard (NE Ropes VPC Hybrid)
5/16" New England Sta-Set for Boom Downhaul 12ft, Boom Vang 30 ft, Mainsail Travler 12 ft
3/8" New England Sta-Set for Headsail Sheet 70 feet, Main Sheet 45 ft
1/4" New England Sta Set Foresail Downhaul 45 ft, Main Out Haul (Internal) 25 ft, Boom Topping Lift 10 ft (just the bottom part), Jiffy reefing 45 ft

I would to Stingy's Site and read his articles about the Masthead Sheaves (All Line Halyards Article) and the Lines Led Aft Article. All this info is in there, also specifically what sheaves to buy for the Masthead.

I put the line sizes, rope brand/style, color, and price per foot on a spreadsheet that I can email to you but its on my work computer, so I couldn't email it till Monday. Also, I bought all my lines during West Marine's Memorial Day sale when bulk line is 40% off, you can order it online as well. They did a sale on Labor day weekend also but it was only 30% off. Just to give you an idea of the savings, all that line listed above totals $289.98 when 40% off, its about $500 when regular price. My spread sheet includes the regular price and sale price so maybe you can comparison shop online and find a deal that is close, but honestly I looked and I can find anyone online that beats the WM 40% sale price.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
James, those measurements would be for all rope internal halyards.
At least... they work for my boat which has internal rope halyards and factory turning blocks to lead the halyards back to the cockpit.

Cheers,
Roy

Edit: nevermind.. Luke posted more info while I was typing mine. hehe

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Thanks to both of you. I've read most of the available material, but admit I've forgotten a great deal.
Part of my question concerns the fact that my C22 is a first generation model 1972. The halyards are external and the boat came with those half and half type. Is it necessary to "change the sheaves" to go to all line halyards? I think I remember the line part is what is on the sleeve. Remember I'm not going to race or do more "blue water" than necessary and then only in good weather. Remember my goal is a two year cruise of the Great Loop including the Canadian canal system. I've kinda ruled out the Fla keys cause of red tape, regulations and crowds. I've been there long ago, BJB (before Jimmy Buffet).
Thanks, James

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I got my internet connection problem sorted out and re-read sting’s halyard piece. He says the originals were 1/4" they worked ok for me until the jib halyard cover wore out and left me with just the inter part on the cockpit end. I'll not change the size and will just guess that 65’ will be enough for the jib halyard all rope replacement. Please let me know if you or anyone thinks that will not work.
Thanks James

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
The sheaves are designed for wire so they are very narrow. Due to the age they should probably be replaced anyway. Going with a larger diameter line is easier on the hands.

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Good thinking, But can I just go up to 5/16 sleeve size and keep them fore and aft like the originals? I would prefer 5/16 line.
thanks, James

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
It's halyards. Once up going out... Folks grouse about small lines but the gripe is more relevant for sheets.

For your halyards, go low/no stretch line and use winch to set sails. With this advice 5/16 is fine. Don't forget Cunningham / downhaul on main...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
That being said it's always better to replace sheaves. Go roller bearing. If your stick is down this is a no-brainer.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
I just replaced my halyards and sheets yesterday. Performed with boat rigged and in the slip. I used 5/16" XLS. The length was cut based on actually running the lines and then cutting as needed. It took 200' of line with some left over for other uses. I purchased 100' of white/blue and 100' of red off amazon for $112 total including shipping. Afterwards we sailed for seven hours and all seemed right sized and very pleasant to use.

By the way I used heat shrink tubing to join old halyards to new for the up and over operation.

Lane

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
I just replaced my halyards and sheets yesterday. Performed with boat rigged and in the slip. I used 5/16" XLS. The length was cut based on actually running the lines and then cutting as needed. It took 200' of line with some left over for other uses. I purchased 100' of white/blue and 100' of red off amazon for $112 total including shipping. Afterwards we sailed for seven hours and all seemed right sized and very pleasant to use.

By the way I used heat shrink tubing to join old halyards to new for the up and over operation.

Lane
Hello Lane, You kept the original sheaves in while replacing the halyard with all rope line at 5/16? What year is your 22? Trying to figure out my '74.