Opening hinged bulkhead in head to access electrical wiring in Macgregor 25

Oct 11, 2019
MacGregor 25 Inland lakes
I am trying to open the panel to look at the wiring. There is what appears to be a phillips head screw to the right of the hinged access panel. The head is stripped and I will have about one attempt with an impact driver. I want to know if this turns an interior latch or is just a wood screw. does anyone know which way to turn this connector, or is something else holding the panel in place.

Sep 8, 2016
Macgregor 25 Chattanooga
I have a 1985 Mac 25. My electric panel is the original pop out fuse panel and is mounted on the same panel as the crank for lowering and raising the keel. It doesn't swing out. I suspect your panel is someone's add on. What year is your Mac and where is your panel located?

Oct 11, 2019
Mine is a1982 and the electrical panel is on the dinette side of the bulkhead separating the dinette from the head and the hinged access panel is on he head side of the bulkhead.

Sep 8, 2016
Macgregor 25 Chattanooga
I've seen pics of this set up, but have no knowledge of factory versus owner design or how to get to the guts. Best of luck to you as you tackle this. I bought my Mac 25 three years ago and haven't gotten tired of doing updates. Have fun

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Mine is a1982 and the electrical panel is on the dinette side of the bulkhead separating the dinette from the head and the hinged access panel is on he head side of the bulkhead.
If I understand your panel location................. isn't there a plywood access panel under the starboard/forward seat cushion?

Oct 11, 2019
Yes there is and that is the battery location. The bulkhead separating the head and dinette has a horizontal piano hinge about three feet long and about a foot down from the head ceiling. I’m trying to figure out how this panel is secured in place. I don’t see any screes or fasteners except one near the top of the head door. It is stripped.

Oct 11, 2019
Opened finally. Put penetrating oil and the piano hinge and pulled on it firmly. The top of the panel was held by a hidden ball and detent catch that was corroded and stuck. Lubricated catch and it works good

jbrock

Jul 12, 2009
Macgregor 25 Regent Point Marina, Virginia
That’s cool. I’m looking to redo my wiring and location of the panel and was thinking of putting it there. Do you find that’s a convenient spot?

Oct 11, 2019
Patience does not have anything to do with it. Because of being old and trying to stay away from covid I have not been near my boat. As for the wiring location it is quite good.