Ongoing maintenance - Rudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2010
2003 Bavaria 44 Chesapeake Bay
Finally caught up on my boat (that is finally after many years fixed all the broken/breaking stuff and keeping the bilge bone dry) and am, for the first time, focused on preventative system maintenance. The one I have done nothing on is the rudder cabling system. I look under the stern and see cables and all sorts of other stuff and cant imagine I shouldn't be doing something preventative on the system.....but have no idea where to start..

Lube? grease? Nothing?

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
You have a quadrant with a cable connecting your wheel to it. There are sheaves that need grease as well as checking for slack. It might need to take up slack by adjusting the turnbuckle if it was properly designed. Also there is a chain by the pedestal that has the cable connected to it. Check that. Lubricate the bearings where the wheel shaft goes into the pedestal. You might also want to lubricate the rudder shaft where it comes up from the hull to the deck.

Jun 19, 2010
2003 Bavaria 44 Chesapeake Bay
thanks for the response and advice - any suggestions for grease/lubricants? Just CRC or something else or just any old grease?

You have a quadrant with a cable connecting your wheel to it. There are sheaves that need grease as well as checking for slack. It might need to take up slack by adjusting the turnbuckle if it was properly designed. Also there is a chain by the pedestal that has the cable connected to it. Check that. Lubricate the bearings where the wheel shaft goes into the pedestal. You might also want to lubricate the rudder shaft where it comes up from the hull to the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.