On-line 1972 O'day 22 advertisement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich SantaColoma

I just saw this on-line. It's interesting that O'Day tried a little dinette to port... I can see why they changed that! http://boatshowusa.com/oday/s22-1972ad/index.html

J

Jim Cook

I don't understand

I guess I'm too new. What is wrong with the dinette? My O'day 27 has a similar arangement. Please explain. Thanks, JimC

R

Rich SantaColoma

Nothing wrong with a dinette...

I don't think there is anything wrong with a dinette. And in your 27 foot boat, I'll bet it's a wonderful place to hang out. But I own a 22' O'Day. Ever been in one? It's much smaller than your boat... especially inside. It is really hard for me to imagine two people, let alone four, sitting across from one another in the early O'Day 22's with the port dinette. I think they did this until mid '73. After that, they changed the arrangement to a pedestal table which sat between the two berths. Still tight, but it allows four people room around the table. Interestingly, the specs also say it "sleeps five". I think that the later claims of two adults, plus two children, are more realistic.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Lots of early 22s

had dinnette interiors. Cal22 and Tanzer 22 come do mind immediately. Southcoast 23 also, at least the ones I've been on. I think it was a sop to those customers who might have been on the fence between buying a boat and buying a trailer camper. This was clearly on some manufacture's mind as they point out that they can be used as trailers as well. I have seen at least one early Catalina 22 ad where the boat is sitting in a woodsy campground with a bunch of people in flannel sitting around a camp fire. I agree, 22 is too small for a dinnette. I almost bought a Tanzer 22 for sailing performacne, but the dinnette made for an unusable interior for my purposes. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.