Oh brudder, no rudder!

• Thread starter Mighty Schwillhonkos
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mighty Schwillhonkos

I had just purchased this rather dubious craft (the idea of a swing keel hanging underneath the boat by a rusting pin like a barnacle was giving me a sense of vertigo) and was taking it out for a little test run out of the Deerfield, Florida inlet when I encountered some decent size wave activity. This little Catalina had just risen up a five footer and smacked down into the trough with a slap that did little to mollify my misgivings when I felt the tiller slip out of my hand. Now I had a 1967 Tylercraft several years ago that I sailed regularly from Montauk to Block Island and when that baby came down it came down with authority, cleaving the brine like an ash Louisville Slugger, none of this K-Mart whiffle bat business. On the other hand, the wing-keeled slug topped out at three and a half knots, so there is a considerable trade-off. Anyway, for a split second I thought that the tiller had merely scooted off to one side the way they do, but when I glanced back I caught a glimpse of it following the rudder to Davy Jones locker. Now I've fashioned a rudder and tiller out of some pressure treated 2x8's and am hoping it will suffice untiller something better comes along. Is this a normal occurence? What is the annual expected outlay for rudders and tillers? How come the darn thing just hangs there like a Christmas ornament anyway? Anybody know of a boat junkyard where I might stumble across a reasonably-priced rudder and tiller?

R

Rico

Clevis for the pintle

Because no mention is made of any other missing hardware or tearing/ripping sounds, it seems as if the enitre rudder assembly was lifted out of the gudgeons by wave action. Check to see of your gudgeons are still tight and in tact on the stern. If they are, then a stock 22 rudder for a boat of your era is likely to fit. Once in place, be sure to install a clevis pin, or failing that a cotter ring, in at least one pintle.

D

Dick of the Sylvan

Securing Rudders

In order to place a pin thru the pintle (see Rico), you may have to first drill a hole thru it. I had to do that on my 1975 C 22. It was easy to align while the rudder was on the boat and the boat on the trailer. And a regular drill worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.