Offshore Cruising

Feb 25, 2015
Lancer 30 Everett
Hello;
New (to me) 30' Lancer owner. Intention is to Blue Water Sail at sea up to a month at a time. What modifications would you more experienced owners recommend? Already re-rigged with next bigger shrouds, all LED lighting, Wind turbine and Solar panels.

?

Lem

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hello;
New (to me) 30' Lancer owner. Intention is to Blue Water Sail at sea up to a month at a time. What modifications would you more experienced owners recommend? Already re-rigged with next bigger shrouds, all LED lighting, Wind turbine and Solar panels.

?

Lem
If it were mine and I had your plans, I'd be concerned the boat's ability to resist/recover from capsize, or serious knock down, where a lot of water might enter. Thus, enhanced dewatering capability--i.e., high-volume bilge pumps--combination of electric (impeller) and manual (diaphram). Also, the ability to secure lockers and cabinets so they will not burst open and spill their contents if the boat rolls to 120 deg or capzises (roll over). Make sure heavy stuff, like batteries, is secured to the bilge floor. Personally, I'd raise (or install) the bridgedeck; stengthen companionway tracks to resist force of cockpit flooding (solid water) against the washboards, and attach lanyands to the washboards, etc. If you felt the need to upgrade the standing rigging that much you evidently expect to be sailing in strong, perhaps gale-force(?), winds which usually mean high seas as well. Fifteen and even 12-ft seas may present a capsize threat to a 30-ft boat depending on other aspects of the sea conditions at the time, so I've read. You might wish to refresh yourself on sea force parameters and consider the conditions you're likely to encounter. [See at link.]

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/beaufort.html

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Big cockpit drains(scuppers). Good quality ground tackle, including at least 3 anchors.
Additional tankage for water and fuel. A storm jib, and a storm trysail mounted on it's own track. A manual bilge pump (not cheap). Extra sealant on the hull/deck joint.
An EPIRB. A bridge deck, or at the very least, locking hatch boards. A hard dodger is a luxury, but at least a quality, heavy duty canvas dodger. Some kind of self steering device.... wind vane, if you can afford it. A tool that will cut wire rigging. A workbench and a vise. Spare parts for everything. Reseal hatches and portlights..... it's a long list...

Actually, if you simply google this subject you'll find tons of articles on long distance cruising made by actual long distance cruisers.....

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Well, I would talk myself out of it.

I'm sure the OP doesn't want to hear that, but that I would never want to out in the open water for 30 days on a 30' anything.