Officially mine!

Nov 1, 2015
1989 Catalina 22 Wing Keel Madisonville, LA
Hi all. First let me say thank you for all the feedback and guidance I've received from this team over the past couple weeks. Both the specific responses as well as the incredible amount of knowledge found in the history of this forum made me confident in this rather fast process.
With that said I can now say that the Catalina 22 instance of s/v Shannon is now under my ownership.
Made the trip home from Mobile to my home on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain this afternoon without a hitch. PO had replaced the bearings 2 years ago so they had < 5 miles on them. Replace the wheels/tires and greased the bearings and all was good. Stopped 30 min into the trip and the bearings were barely warm. Here is the only picture I took today at that stop. Too dark by the time I got home for more.

I honestly don't know how you guys trailer regularly. I had to pry my fingers off the wheel and took 2 rum punches to come down after the trip! I guess you get used to it.
Boat rehab starts tomorrow!

image.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Congratulations. That was our first boat in 1983, a 1981 #10496. Just wait until you first back her down a ramp! All the best, you'll love that boat.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Welcome to the family. Glad it all worked out with no problems. That's a highly desirable model of the C-22 in the cruising gang. We LOVE our wing keeled MK-II, but DANG, the new design C-22's are the prettiest!

Don

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
congrats ....thats a nice looking find you have there.....hope the inside is as nice as the outside if so you will be in the water in no time

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Great job!

I have an 88 wing keel. I just bought a trailer and have not fitted it yet. Can you please measure how high the bunks are from the board the keel sits on. Please please.

Lane

Nov 19, 2008
2002 MK-II wing keel and an 88 swing keel also,(just had to have a "new design" C-22 also).

Don

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Looks awesome. Congrats and welcome aboard!

Nov 1, 2015
Thanks all.
Lane - will try to take some measurements for you that will help. Would expect each trailer to be slightly different wrt side bunks so hopefully you are good at geometry!

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Thanks. Just need a starting point. I plan on spending some time at the ramp adjusting and repositioning.

Lane

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Looking good. A little bottom paint and a good waxing and she will be the pride of the fleet. Congratulations!

Nov 1, 2015
Spent sometime today make sure the trailer was stable for me moving around and unloading stuff from the cabin in prep for cleaning and bulkhead job. Off loaded the mast for easy access to the deck. Only surprise today was the bimini - rather than zippers it was sewn then slid on to the frame and riveted in the corners. No way to remove it without damaging it.

Thought I'd share a couple more pictures before I really start pulling things apart. Interior fairly standard. Cushions are in fine shape., just need cleaning. Anyone know if they are they machine washable on gentle cycle?
image.jpg

And since she got referenced so much in my previous thread here is Shannon with her sister Our Song. Sort of a ballerina and a gymnast IMO. :)
image.jpg

Lane - sorry was so wrapped up with my new toy I forgot to measure. Will try to do tomorrow.

Nov 19, 2008
Buy or rent an upholstery cleaner. If you remove the foam and wash the cushion covers, chances are you won't get them back in, or at least not nice and smooth. We purchased a nice portable upholstery cleaner from Goodwill for next to nothing. An upholstery cleaner might not work, but it's worth a try before going crazy. Vacuum them good, and then use the upholstery cleaner, then leave them in the sun to dry. I think you'll like the results. By the way, your cushions are the same as in my project boat. The fabric the factory used was top notch on the new design boats, but then again, they were a HUGE improvement over the original C-22 design in my opinion. Did you look at the previous MainBrace issue, it had a lot of information and photos of the "new design" C-22's.

Don

Nov 1, 2015
Don - thanks for the guidance on the cushions.
For the life of me I cannot see how to access past issues of MainBrace. Are these only available once I join the association?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I honestly don't know how you guys trailer regularly. I had to pry my fingers off the wheel and took 2 rum punches to come down after the trip! I guess you get used to it.
Boat rehab starts tomorrow!
If you are having trouble trailering, try moving the boat forward on the trailer. You may have to move the winch forward to accommodate. Having the boat sit that high on the trailer is doing you no favors, but other than using a lot of fuel, if its set up right, you should not know its back there except when stopping and taking off.

You may want to look the trailer over real well, and see if it is possible to lower the boat some. Most of the time, the trailers are put together quick and dirty, without much thought of how low they could really get the boat on the trailer. I managed to lower my first boat about 3 inches.

Nov 19, 2008
Don - thanks for the guidance on the cushions.
For the life of me I cannot see how to access past issues of MainBrace. Are these only available once I join the association?
The current issue is available free to everyone, but only the members have access to all the archived issues. But you also get to download your own PDF file of the C-22 Tech Manual. Over 400 pages in two additions of everything you ever wanted to know on the boats. You know there is the annual North Gulf Coast Cruise just east of you starting out of Ft Walton Beach Florida. The cruise is in May, and the C-22 Nationals will be held there also the 3rd week in May.

Don

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
from the picture I'm not sure he would lower the boat any further it "appears" from the pictures that the wing keel is almost touching the trailer axle. Maybe the pictures are deceiving though.

Boat looks awesome. Bottom looks awesome interior looks great, jellious of your forward hatch, cushions look like they are in super condition mine are good but have 2 or 3 spots of bad little wear the size of my thumb that I had to patch. and the entire set could be replaced just costs so much. But yours look great from the pictures.

Anyway keep us updated as you dig into it. Don't be shy in asking questions someone is always around to help and most enjoy the conversation.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
"I honestly don't know how you guys trailer regularly. I had to pry my fingers off the wheel and took 2 rum punches to come down after the trip! I guess you get used to it.
Boat rehab starts tomorrow!"

It looks like you have a few more inches to winch the boat forward, the bow needs to be resting on the bow roller. I would suggest also moving the trailer winch post forward a few more inches but it appears to be welded in place (mine is bolted and can slide). Moving the boat forward (even just a couple inches) moves the load weight forward of the axle where it should be, this will stop any wobble or sway in the trailer. You can also move the axle back some, but it looks pretty far back to start with. You may want to check that the axle is sitting square to the frame, even 3/8" off can cause problems as well as un-even tire wear. If you can move the axle back just two inches it could help, along with what looks like 3 inches to get the bow touching the roller you just gained 5 inches of load weight moved more forward of the axle, that can make a tremendous difference in trailering stability.
Do you ever have Stanley Steamer or a similar service come to your house to steam clean your carpets? I have it done about every 6 months and it costs around $130 and they do an amazing job (400 psi of steam is a great cleaner). They also do upholstery so I would suggest having them come out to do the carpets and then hit them up to clean your cushions, hopefully its only an extra $50, its totally worth it!

Last edited: