off we go.....maybe???????

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
just a word of caution here leave the mast down :D for better speed and bridge clearance :eek:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
just a word of caution here leave the mast down :D for better speed and bridge clearance :eek:
Wouldn't correct use of the sails help with speed and lessen load on the tow vehicle ?
You may have to weave all over the road when going upwind though.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Check to make sure the F150's they rent are actually a V8 and not the V6 version, which is possible. The V8 will be more than adequate. The F250 would be overkill, but sometimes its just nicer to tow with a diesel, especially if its only a little more money than the F150. The F250 could also be a V10 gas, but either way it will be gobs of power to spare and better braking.

Thanks Gene, Leeward Rail, Woodster, for the help it finally makes sense, trying to figure out what all those crazy numbers mean!

I thin I'm gonna go trot down to the local U-Haul, grab one of those F150 or 250 truck, tow the boat that way. Seems a lot cheaper than a number of things, like emergency room visit, trans repair, or a C-22 lying in a million pieces on the side of the road! Not to mention the "apocalyptically cross" look on my wifes face when I say, "So, honey, you know how you said I shouldn't tow the boat with the truck.....well,......." Not. Good. At. All.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Jul 15, 2015
Catalina 22 Raleigh NC
My opinion,
grab a rental truck. BTW I do believe their rental f150 is the v6.
I don't think they rent 250's. Get the E350 van. It has the 6.9 V10. It has brakes and everything you need. Then keep your ranger as is and only use it to pull around the boat yard.
I tow long distances with a K1500 with the 4.3. It is slow, but keeps up. My opinion is the power really isn't the issue, its the size and weight of the tow vechicle. I have towed with smaller things and it just doesn't feel great with a small truck. But look in Europe. They tow really bigs thing's with super small SUV's all the time.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Don't under estimate Ford's new V-6. Friends of ours tow a 35' 5th wheel with their new Ford with a V-6. More torque, power, and better mileage than their Dodge Ram with the Hemi. Not sure what would be in a U-Haul truck.

I towed our first C-22 from north of Detroit to Kansas City years ago with a 4 banger mini van. Wasn't safe or smart. It made it, but I've gotten a little,(just a little), smarter as I've gotten older.

Me, well the big Ford V-10 in the RV with the Banks Power System which includes stainless steel headers and a larger exhaust system tows the boat effortlessly,(but at 8.6 mpg) :cussing:

Don

Attachments

May 31, 2015
Catalina 22 Bozeman
I was thinking of firing up the outboard for those times of going uphill, give that Ford ranger a bit of a boost...... My next big problem is which jenny to use on the highway, I'm thinking it could help with any fishtailing!:D

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
How far will you tow it? For how long, hills, mountains? If it's a flat 10 trip top the lake, bay, ocean then you are probably good.

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
I have never understood why so many folks talk about POWER when discussing towing.

accelerating is optional, staying in your lane and stopping are not.

don't worry about the power, worry about the suspension and wheelbase (swerving/fishtailing) and the frame and brakes (stopping and stability)

it is also false that GVWR has nothing to do with tow ratings. GVWR- vehicle weight = what additional items you can load into the truck (boat acccesories, PEOPLE (usually calculated based on one 180lb occupant, any more takes away from available payload), and more importantly in this case TONGUE WEIGHT. example: GVWR= 5000lbs. Truck =4000lbs. that leaves 1000lbs TOTAL payload. add in a 200lb guy and his 150lb wife now we are at 750lbs, misc sailing gear for the day and tools that are kept in the truck 200lbs more now we are at 550. You only have 550lbs of payload available for tongue weight.

Don't overlook the GAWR either, tells you how much the axle can handle. same rule applies, Truck+cargo has to be subtracted to tell you what the axle has left available.

It is VERY rare that a trailer will reach a vehicles actual tow rating without first exceeding GVWR or GAWR first.

another rating that is never discussed is max frontal area. it comes in to play more with smaller vehicles like this, but there is actually a max sq ft frontal area rating as well.

Food for thought: many vehicles can tow far beyond their misc ratings. that's fine and well until an accident happens. once the insurance company finds out you were over loaded guess what?!?! you are on your own!!

im weird and I like to play overkill. I tow with a 3/4 ton duramax diesel truck and the heaviest thing I tow is a 7k camper.

for anyone who is truly interested in tow ratings and how to PROPERLY calculate what a vehicle can tow, it is discussed HEAVILY on camper forums.

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
oh and the ford v6 referenced is 99% likely the ecoboost (turbo charged, lots of low rpm torque, really better compared to a small diesel), not the base v6 that would be in a rental (though a base v6 full size would be fine for pulling our boats)

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Check the owners manual for your tow vehicle. Maximum tow weight should be listed.

IE: My GMC pick up manual lists tow weights according to engine, transmission and rear axle ratio.

Jul 15, 2015
Catalina 22 Raleigh NC
Here's what I would do.
Make sure you are legal and within ford's specs for that vechicle.
Take it for a ride.
You think it is adequate? Go for it. Do some stopping tests. Take it up a hill.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hawk: agreed.
Especially on the point about the wheelbase and weight of the tow vehicle.

An extreme example I was involved in, is towing a ram 1500 on a dual axle car hauler, with a astro van 4.3 auto.

It engine and trans could pull it. The electric + normal brakes stopped it well. But god help you if you got too fast, get wind gusts etc.
It would be crazy too pull that way for more than a few blocks on residential roads.

Personally I use the factory rating and go for overkill. I don't tow anywhere near the limit. I like towing so that I can't even tell I'm towing something. Safer and less wear and tear.

May 31, 2015
Catalina 22 Bozeman
Thanks all for the info, it's a big help!
After doing some adding, subtracting 41, dividing by 4 and multiplying by 3.14159265359, my Ford has the advantage over the boat and trailer by 60 pounds!
I did lose some weight, and if I make my wife ride a bike I could make 125, but still too light for the hills, wind, and the crazy subaru drivers out here in Montana.
Some options did come open, work here has a big Ford 350 van, and a Dodge 1/2 ton that can pull that boat, plus the local u-haul has a nice fleet of F150's with the fancy pants motor and towing stuff, for $20.00 a day.
I know I have the power and trans, etc, just not so sure I want that boat to pass me!