Off Shore Cruising

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James

I have done about 20 000 miles cruising on 42' and 47' yachts mainly in the Pacific and Indian Oceans, Red Sea, the Med. Anyway, recently I bought a Hunter 25 and I have a couple of questions for other Hunter owners in regards to medium term cruising (various months) on a Hunter 25. Anybody done something similar? What was the experience like? Strengths and weaknesses in the design? Sailing characteristics? How did it perform in heavy weather conditions? Uncomfortable but safe; OR turned into survival conditions? Thanks very much for your feedback!!

T

TOM.M.

Bay sailer to blue water

First of all, do you have a pop up cabin top?, next, does it have a bridgedeck?, any boat cand be modified with seaworthy features to make it more capable to widthstand the forces of nature beyond the sight of land. If you have a pop top, forget it, there's not enough strength in the cabin for that large cavity. If you don't have a bridge deck you can add one with a even higher sill, all the rigging should be replaced, and the sails reviewed, and the main should have 3 reef points, and the reefing sys. should work easily!!! The bulkheads, may require beefening up and maybe the addition of mini bulkheads in the center of the main cabin settee's, you may have to add additional drains to the cockpit,I also reccommend selling the 25 for a better constructed boat, the 25 Hunters do display "oil canning" along the keel area, so if you plan on sailing the deep blue, buy a better bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.