Off-shore cruising in smaller boats . . .

• Thread starter Justin - O'day Owner's Web
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Hey - I ran into a guy the other day who was planning to sail an O'day Tempest from Florida to the Bahamas. It got me thinking about trips people have taken in smaller boats. I remember a story some cruiser friends told me about a Cal22 they met in American Samoa that had sailed there from Spain! Around the Cape, not through the canal, no less. Anyway, any of you cruising smaller boats? How far out have you gone? Any interesting passages? Justin - O'day Owner's Web

R

Ross Ward

Harpswell to Nova Scotia on Tanzer 22

Justin, I have sailed my Tanzer 22 from Casco Bay (I see that you sail from Falmouth, I am in teh Harpswells) to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia twice. Its about 75 miles of open water, with the gulfstream and wicked tidal flows to deal with. I have had no problems. I did modify my boat to make it more seaworthy. The Tanzer has no bridge deck, so I modified the companionway to have one. I also replaced a lot of hatches etc. I carry and extra rudder (an older one I have replaced with a new balanced model), extra tiller. Two completely reduntant VHF radios. 406mHz GPS linked ePIRB. And a bevy of additional safety gear. The crossing the guy you met is contemplating is only about 55 miles, if he choose the right spot on the coast to depart from. He should be ok if he has a reasonable respect for the weather. Perhaps this summer we can raft up somewhere. Chandler's Cove, maybe? Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.