O'day 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Burti

I am looking at a 1981 O'day 28 to purchase. I had a partnership interest in a 1983 O'day 30 in the late 80's, and liked the boat. Any input on how the 28's are holding up, blistering, deck delaminations, maststep corrosion,etc. would be much appreciated.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Its this one that matters!

Chris, I have not seen enough 28's, nor known enough owners to have a sense of how they are holding up as a model, but if the one you are looking at is in good shape is shouldn't really matter about the others. After 19 years, any inherent defect would have shown by now, and when you examine it you will see any specific defects. I would expect that you will find some delamination in the deck unless this boat has been impecably cared for all of its life. There are few 20 year old boats that have none. If the core is still solid, its easily remedied, and forestalled by judicious rebedding of fittings. Have it surveyed by a reputable surveyor, then enjoy it. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

C

Chris Burti

Thanks Justin

I know the drill, but I will not have any history on this boat available. Some of the repair work is in suspect areas. Osmotic blistering will return in all of them but we had no problem with our O30. I am concerned about the possible need for peeling since it will winter in the water. Any experiences along these lines, good or bad, will be much appreciated, fw&cs

Status
Not open for further replies.