O'Day 22 or 222

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Peckham

Help? I'm looking for a boat to buy for my family of 4. I sold my Laser II and I'm having troubles not owning a boat. What are the major differences between a 22, 23 and a 222? I will be day sailing off the coast of Maine. The main features I want are a large cockpit, I do not intend to do any cruising. A head. A boat that can take rough water and strong wind. Coming from a Laser II I'm sure I'll miss the performance. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I looking at the right boats? How about a Capri 22 with a wing keel or a S2.

M

Mike Stern

O'Day daysailers

A great source of technical data on O'Day's is the Unofficial O'Day Website. I think it is listed in the links section of this site, but if not, the address is home.att.net/~oday. I bought an O'Day 23 for my family of four (actually, I bought it for me) last fall, and I have very happy with the boat's performance. Even with the centerboard stuck in the up position (it still makes me crazy just to think about it), I was able to sail in 25+ knots of wind with 3-4 foot waves with confidence. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but its nice to know its possible. My wife really wanted a separate head on the boat, which was a big factor in deciding what models to look at. The O'Days were the only boats I found in that size range (21-24 feet) that had that feature. If you are really looking for a boat for rough weather, the most substantial boat that size I have ever come across is the O'Day Tempest. It is 23 feet, and has a HUGE cockpit. I don't remember the exact specs, but more ballast than one would usually find on a boat that size. Also, it's built like a tank. The cabin is tiny, with no separate head compartment. It looks like it was designed as a daysailer for areas with strong winds. One caveat: I think they stopped making them in the late sixties or early seventies, so all the boats are old. I looked at about four, and none had bow or stern pulpits, let alone lifelines. All were in less than ideal shape. All were very reasonably priced. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.