• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

October Indian Summer - Trick or Treat

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Are you waking each morning with the wonder... Can I get just one more cruise in before winter arrives in the Pacific NW?

Well tell the boss I need a mental health week. Run down to the boat and strike those sails and practice your sailing off the dock is my suggested remedy for “I have the need for one more Sail”.

The outlook is favorable for your mental health week. The next 10 days appear to benefit from the Pacific High that is hanging around the in the Pacific between the 38th and 45th parallel. While the Arctic is trying to build up some winter storms and launch them in our direction that persistent High keeps blocking them like an Oregon Duck defensive line.

Looking at the next 10 days we can see daytime cool temps in the high 40’s to low 50’s (8 to 11 for our Celsius friends). Winds look to be calm to the moderate 10-16 knots (mid-day breezes). Only a slight chance of a shower in some areas.

All the weather characteristics for a nice One More Time San Juan Island cruise. With all this optimism you need to remember, this is the Pacific NW. Conditions can change. Looking out 10 days into the future of weather is always a big SWAG. But if I had not just returned from a 2 week trip I’d be packing up my bags and headed to the boat.

So my thoughts it will be more sailing treats than tricks as we approach Spook Day.

Fair winds...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
There is a lot of "Trick or Treats" going on in the Atlantic and East Pacific.

That Pacific HIGH is the saving grace for the Northern Pacific and saved the East Coast from Hurricanes this year.

Strange behavior that don't seem to be in anyone's models.

Many of the Blogs are making light of it.
Put it simply they are dancing around the issue. Maybe a "Sundance"?
Jim...

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I'm not sure "Saved" is the best term for the Florida east coast.
I was prepping for a hurricane or a gale every other week since July!

Oct 22, 2014
YES Ggrizzard, but the operative word is you prepared. Besides building and improving your skill, you did not have to suffer the storm wrath. That sounds to me like a pretty good deal.

But then I was sitting pretty in the PacificNW. Pumping out the High pressures...

May 27, 2004
The hurricane took out my spreader lights and my dock step!
It's my 5th hurricane aboard Intuition.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I made my "saved" comment about Atlantic Storms E->M.

Where did they go?

Nestor actually helped the drought.

Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
It's my 5th hurricane aboard Intuition.
Ok I must ask. Did you celebrate with Poseidon upon taking possession of Intuition?
Perhaps she had precognition about the coming events.
It is just not right - 5. Six or Seven. That is explained. But 5. No that is just not right.

May 27, 2004
I bought Intuition new, 40 years ago and performed all the appropriate and necessary rituals appurtenant to christening a new vessel.
I'm old, so I'm missing the
It is just not right - 5. Six or Seven
PM me with the dope!
Thanks,
G.

Oct 22, 2014
For us PacficNW sailors the weather and the water promises to be very nice for the next few days (maybe 8-10).

So boys (and girls), It is time to dry out the sandals, shed your socks and squeeze out that last bit of sunscreen before winter really shows up.

Sunshine and temps in the 50's. Best sailing days are Friday and maybe Saturday when the winds should provide time to stretch the sails and dip the lee rail (8 to 15 Knots with possible higher gusts).

Enjoy