NY Winter Covering of 26d

Sep 16, 2020
Macgregor 26D Mechanicville, NY
Where I live in Upstate NY, we can get high winds. Indoor winter storage is not in the cards and I’m concerned as to how I will keep a tarp from blowing off or shredding.
I’ve read where shrink wrapping can cause blisters, mold, etc.
Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's no easy way to tarp a boat. The unstepped mast makes a good ridge but stanchions interfere with even coverage. Use good canvas tarps, not the cheap blue ones. They wear out just staring at them. Pad protruding points. Lots of rope laced thru as many eyelets as possible.

Jun 17, 2020
Venture 222 93333 Grand Isle, VT
I ordered a cover for my V222 from SealSkin Covers. They claim it's waterproof (it's clearly not) but it IS water resistant, and if I set up some sawhorses correctly it'll do a decent job of keeping the water out (and snow if we ever get any here in MD). It'll only work with the mast down, but it otherwise fits nicely, straps securely, and was very reasonably priced at ~$200.

My family in northern VT do shrink-wrap their boats, and I don't know of any moisture problems per se, but we learned the hard way that you should put mothballs in your boat over the winter up there. My grandpa's center console was literally stuffed full of tree nuts and raccoon excrement. It took an entire day to clean it out. Good luck!

Attachments

Jun 17, 2020
Venture 222 93333 Grand Isle, VT
Yeah, it's not bad. It fits over the stanchions, and although they told me it would work with the mast crutch on the foredeck (it doesn't really, but there's enough material that it kind of just fits over it), it's overall pretty good and much better than the blue tarp I had on there before. Plus it's a 10 year warranty I think.

Sep 16, 2020
Macgregor 26D Mechanicville, NY
Yeah, it's not bad. It fits over the stanchions, and although they told me it would work with the mast crutch on the foredeck (it doesn't really, but there's enough material that it kind of just fits over it), it's overall pretty good and much better than the blue tarp I had on there before. Plus it's a 10 year warranty I think.
I’ll look into it. Thx!

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I use car port style canopy from Shelter Logic. But we don't have particularly high winds here. Might not be suitable where you are.

Apr 30, 2012
MacGregor 26m Jefferson, NY
On my 26M I made a 5' mast holder from 2 2x2's crossed at the top to hold the back of the mast high. Applied foam n stuff to protect the tarp at abrasion points. Boat a heavy duty (silver and black) tarp 18 x 26 around $120 amazon. The high mast at the stern allows snow and rain to shed. Lots of lacing. Just replaced the old tarp after 8 years.
IMG_1015.jpg

Attachments

Jun 1, 2004
Macgregor 25 Middle River MD
I have never heard of shrink wrap causing blisters. It will cause mold if it is not vented. Whatever you use be sure to support the mast if it's in the down position. If not the weight of water on your covering will bend the mast.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have never heard of shrink wrap causing blisters...
I think that's primarily on polyurethane painted hulls. If you have a painted hull they are not supposed to extend the shrink wrap onto the topsides. Something about trapping moisture against the paint.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think that's primarily on polyurethane painted hulls. If you have a painted hull they are not supposed to extend the shrink wrap onto the topsides. Something about trapping moisture against the paint.
Boat paint that doesn't take to moisture? Who knew? :wink3:

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I'm in a pretty windy spot being on the side of an almost mountain and I always used a cheap tarp to cover my old cabin cruiser and I would get two years out of a tarp. The key to the tarps lasting in the wind was using as many tie down points as possible. This year I plan on DIYing shrinkwrapping the sailboat like done in this youtube video for kicks and giggles,
. With the interior of the boat empty of cushions and wood for the winter, any probability of mold starting inside wouldn't be an issue when I would be bleach pressure washing the interior and exterior in the spring anyway. I think mold issues with tighter shrink wrapping happens when people leave their boats wrapped well into summer or don't unwrap at all due to not using the boat, and then they wonder why their boats are Petrea dishes when they finally do open them up. I have a hard believing mold would grow when the boat is unwrapped in early spring while it's still pretty cool.

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I live in Michigan and do not have room to store the boat at home. The first year I rented an outdoor space at a storage place and built a frame and tarped it. It worked Ok except checking on the boat after a storm in the cold & dark got old. I moved to a 30 ft indoor unit the next winter and it was great except the length of the unit was a hair too short so the outboard would need to come off. Last winter I moved to a 40 ft unit with overhead doors at both ends. Easy to put boat away in the fall & it's close to my house. No moisture or critter issues so cushions and gear stay in the boat or store in the unit. Sails do come home. In the spring when the weather starts to warm up, it's great to have a dry space to work on projects.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
I live in Ontario Canada. Each fall I wash and wax the boat . That's it. No cover.
Wash and wax in the spring.