NOR - 2018 C22 National Championship Regatta

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
The Notice of Race for the 2018 Catalina 22 National Championship Regatta, scheduled for the week of June 4-7 on Scotts Flat Lake near Nevada City, California, is now available at www.catalina22.org. Mark your calendars, get your boats ready, and come out for a week of great camaraderie and competitive Catalina 22 class racing. There will be three fleets - Genoa Gold, Genoa Silver and Spinnaker. The event will be hosted by Catalina 22 Fleet 54, Fleet 4, and the Gold Country Yacht Club. This will be the 46th straight year that the Catalina 22 class has offered this national racing event for its owners and members of the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association. C22NSA membership is required to participate in this event.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The Notice of Race for the 2018 Catalina 22 National Championship Regatta, scheduled for the week of June 4-7 on Scotts Flat Lake near Nevada City, California, is now available at www.catalina22.org. This will be the 46th straight year that the Catalina 22 class has offered this national racing event for its owners and members of the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association. C22NSA membership is required to participate in this event.
An amazing run. Well done!

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Just a general question. Can any member of the association sign up and race or do you have to qualify by participating in other races through the year? Also is the silver fleet ultra competitive or does a regular Joe who races PHRF locally stand a chance? I won't make it this year but have been thinking about it if and when the event returns to the midwest again. Thanks in advance.

Apr 21, 2015
Just a general question. Can any member of the association sign up and race or do you have to qualify by participating in other races through the year? Also is the silver fleet ultra competitive or does a regular Joe who races PHRF locally stand a chance? I won't make it this year but have been thinking about it if and when the event returns to the midwest again. Thanks in advance.
There is no qualification process or requirements. The C22NSA is a family-oriented organization that is accessible to all Catalina 22 owners, and there are a lot of them with over 15,780 Catalina 22s built, and still in production.

The C22NSA promotes participation by not putting any type of restrictions on the program regarding a person's racing status. That is one reason why C22 Nationals have been around for over 45 years. The Class promotes inclusion, not exclusion. A Catalina 22 boat wanting to race in the National Regatta must meet minimum Class Rule requirements. The only C22 that is NOT permitted to participate is the C22 Mk-II with a Capri 22 fin keel, of which there are only a few in existence. The Silver Fleet is intended for the C22 skipper with limited experience, the Gold Fleet is much more competitive and the winner of the Gold Fleet is the National Champion. And the Spinnaker Fleet is for anybody who is also sailing in the Gold or Silver fleets, who also wants to fly a spinnaker in a competitive environment.

There are no immediate plans to have the Nationals in the Midwest/Great Lakes region. If your club might be interested in hosting them...let's talk. It would be a great way to promote C22 and to build some more racing in your sailing club/area. We are looking for a host for 2019...which is also the 50 year anniversary for production of the Catalina 22.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
There are no immediate plans to have the Nationals in the Midwest/Great Lakes region. If your club might be interested in hosting them...let's talk. It would be a great way to promote C22 and to build some more racing in your sailing club/area. We are looking for a host for 2019...which is also the 50 year anniversary for production of the Catalina 22.
I completely agree but I am not currently a member of any clubs. I may be in the land of 10,000 lakes but managed to land in one of the 2 counties in the state that does not have a lake. So I travel just over an hour to sail and race occasional PHRF on Lake Pepin with the clubs there but most of the boats are considerably larger than mine (cruiser type) and thus far I have not encountered any other C22 sailors that race on the lake or even run into another C22 skipper during a day sail (though I know you're out there). Last year if I remember correctly the nationals were in TX and if they come back this way it might just be worth the drive. Dallas is only 12 hours south or so and with my newly road worthy trailer it could make for a fun family adventure.

With all that being said my offer out there to other C22 sailors in MN still stands. If you want to get together or even start a fleet somewhere let me know. Our region has been empty of any fleets for far too long and with over 15,000 boats I know there's quite a few up here somewhere!

Apr 21, 2015
I completely agree but I am not currently a member of any clubs. I may be in the land of 10,000 lakes but managed to land in one of the 2 counties in the state that does not have a lake. So I travel just over an hour to sail and race occasional PHRF on Lake Pepin with the clubs there but most of the boats are considerably larger than mine (cruiser type) and thus far I have not encountered any other C22 sailors that race on the lake or even run into another C22 skipper during a day sail (though I know you're out there). Last year if I remember correctly the nationals were in TX and if they come back this way it might just be worth the drive. Dallas is only 12 hours south or so and with my newly road worthy trailer it could make for a fun family adventure.

With all that being said my offer out there to other C22 sailors in MN still stands. If you want to get together or even start a fleet somewhere let me know. Our region has been empty of any fleets for far too long and with over 15,000 boats I know there's quite a few up here somewhere!
A benefit of doing C22 Class racing is the willingness of owners to share information and help other C22 owners. A secondary benefit is taking the newly gained insight back home to race your Catalina 22 in a club PHRF race/regatta, and seeing your performance and standings greatly improved.

Nov 8, 2010
There is at least 6 Catalina 22s sailing PHRF 2 (non-spin) at the WYC. You should sail here! Now in theory, if they pressed for OD status (and start) the BoD would consider it. The Capri 25 boats did about 15 years ago and now there is 30 of them, the biggest (only?) Capri 25 fleet in the USA.

Apr 21, 2015
Jackdaw...that would be a great venue. I have read about the success of the Capri 25 fleet up there. Is there a way to easily put a bug in the (WYC C22 owners) to see if they would be interested. And if so, I would gladly help explore the opportunity further with them. Initially, need a contact to start any exploration.

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw...that would be a great venue. I have read about the success of the Capri 25 fleet up there. Is there a way to easily put a bug in the (WYC C22 owners) to see if they would be interested. And if so, I would gladly help explore the opportunity further with them. Initially, need a contact to start any exploration.
Shoot me an PM with your email address. I'll have a chat with the PHRF II fleet captain, who happens to sail a C22. We throw crazy good regattas.

Last time we held a Catalina/Capri National:

http://www.wyc.org/c25/2014NationalRegatta.aspx

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@Jackdaw if you host the 2019 event I'll be there with my boat! Even if I came in dead last (every race needs an anchor man) it would still be a fun trip.

There is at least 6 Catalina 22s sailing PHRF 2 (non-spin) at the WYC. You should sail here!
I would do that if it wasn't for the 2.5 hour trip each way. I love to sail and am enjoying getting into the race scene but the 5 hours in a car for a day of sailing is pushing it a bit for me. Still though don't be surprised if I show up next summer (I'll let you have the frostbite this year).

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I would do that if it wasn't for the 2.5 hour trip each way. I love to sail and am enjoying getting into the race scene but the 5 hours in a car for a day of sailing is pushing it a bit for me. Still though don't be surprised if I show up next summer (I'll let you have the frostbite this year).
2.5 hour trip one way with the boat? Heck, I don't even have time to set the cruise control for a trip that short. :)

Don

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@Jackdaw - If your club hosts the 2019 championship, I will come up as a volunteer to help the club put on the regatta. I'd love to see that part of the country, and would be honored to meet you and other members of your club.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
2.5 hour trip one way with the boat? Heck, I don't even have time to set the cruise control for a trip that short. :)

Don
It's not just the drive time it's getting my crew to want to get out of bed early and stay up late along with the setup and take down time. When the average age of your crew is 12 it takes some convincing (and possibly a video game). Still though it's not out of the realm of possibilities for a once or twice event. Weekly though would be a different story. However if they host the race next year I'll defiantly make the trip!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
LakeShark, you know the C-22 Great Lakes Cruise will be pretty close to you next August. A memory you and your crew will never forget! :)
Don