No bridge deck, does it get wet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig

I am in the market looking at an 80's Catalina 30. I heard that the downfall of this model is that when they get water in the cockpit, it then goes into the cabin because of lack of a brdge deck...the person then told me to look at Hunters which have bridge decks. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

S

STLBRASS@AOL.COM

NOT IN MY BOAT

iT ISN'T ANY PROBLEM IN MY CAT 30, 1981. IT'S MORE IMPORTANT TO KEEP THE FORWARD HATCHES CLOSED WHILE I'M SAILING THE NORTH SHORE OF BOSTON IN A 15+ KNOT WIND.

E

Ernie A

Here's the solution...

...just drop one of the drop-boards into the companionway when you get uncomfortable with a following sea. That's why they come in threes. Besides, Hunter over Catalina? No way! I've owned both and there is just no comparison. Ernie April WindCatcher C-42

R

Richard

shouldn't be a problem

There is at least 6 to 8 inches from the cockpit sole to the bottom of the hatch. In big seas you should have the hatch closed anyway. In SF Bay we have many examples of what happens to hunters in 20Knots plus. I have seen 2 dismasted in my marina.... Hunter is like a tupperware boat while a catalina is a plastic boat. Neither are excellent boats, but hunters are certainly not as good. Hunter has an awsome interior but does not seem to carry the design into the rigging and hull.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Instant bridgedeck

Ernie had the right idea. Just drop in that lower hatchboard - voila! Instant bridgedeck! With regards to Hunters vs. Catalinas, it ALWAYS depends on what you want and feel comfortable with. I would definitely not throw C30s out of the race JUST because of that one tiny factor! C30s are probably the best known production boat out there and have got more people into sailing than any other boat on the market. There's a reason: they're generally well built (no ocean crosser but very solid) mixed with wonderful accomodations at a very reasonable price. Good luck & keep us posted! LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.