New to us, 1981 Catalina 22 Hull #10001

Aug 7, 2020
Catalina 22 like i'm telling you
Ahoy all,

I recently talked a group of fools into buying the aforementioned cat. I've previously owned and fiddled with an Albin Vega 27, but this is most of our folks' first time (and mine) with a Catalina 22. There are a couple worries I have for any prolonged use of the boat, leaving aside our inclinations towards debauchery and foolishness-

First off, the resources in this community are amazing. Between all the resto threads I have more than enough info, but alas I am lazy and wanted to say hi. You all do incredible work.

Back to our #10001. Couldn't scrounge up a former owner or name, so we don't know much. I think much of it is original, most certainly the upholstery. I will catalog all the hardware today. The boat is still on the trailer and after a deep clean inside, we hope to get the bare minimum done to get her into and out of the salty water safely.

That list right now is replacing halyards, getting our trailer neck unstuck, and tuning up the outboard.

If you all have kept with me this far, I am attaching a couple pictures and I hope the list doesn't grow substantially.

That fourth picture with the pointer finger is the vee berth bulkhead, looking (d)aft. Wouldn't have taken much more pressure for me push through. I am wondering if this was caused by the keel swinging forward and necessitates a larger repair.

Excuse the early morning call to arms. Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
At first glance I'd say typical -- meaning you look like the rest of us on day 1. The crack in pic 4-- right along a seam of the fiberglass which you can see a good imprint of. Assuming it's not leaking-- easy enough to hit that spot with a grinder, fill the void after inspection with epoxy and add some glass tape-- good as new. Keel is well-- you've seen the resto threads :) and the gelcoat blisters are perfectly typical.

What preytell is depicted with your Labrea tar pit picture? nasty.....

Aug 7, 2020
Thanks for the insights. Must have had some terrible dreams and woke up to post.. Glad for some reassurance. We were debating transferring her to stands and dropping the keel, but yes i've seen the resto threads : P

And excuse my treasure hunt pictures, the tar pit is one of my favorite features. Must have been part of PO's bow eye fix. Another picture looking up from La Brea

The blisters are in the port lazarette, along with much other sticky goodness

And unfortunately that fiberglass does leak with slight pressure. we sprayed down the inside good and am ashamed to say we either missed it upon first inspection or worsened it with a bit of trailer foulplay. I guess we'll see where its all coming from once we're in the water..

If you wouldnt mind scratching your head for me once more... Just before that aforementioned crack are these four wooden dingles. Some kind of brace for the dinette table/cooler? Or something more ominous?

Thanks again

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Just before that aforementioned crack are these four wooden dingles. Some kind of brace for the dinette table/cooler? Or something more ominous?
No more ominous that for a porta potty. :)

I had hull #10496, great boat.

Aug 7, 2020
No more ominous that for a porta potty. :)

I had hull #10496, great boat.
Aha! Too used to brown bags and shrouds I suppose. Thanks for the quick response!

I am already in love.. But it doesn't take much.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Indeed-- those floor mounted cleats are to keep the POs portable head in place (probably). the bow eye / forestay reinforcement is interesting-- I might recommend as you work off your list, cut that strap down and line up the turnbuckle. One other thing to note is that it looks like you have the legacy wood backing for they bow eye? If you haven't upgraded the eye and the backing plate, you might consider it. Not sure how you're evacuating the tar pit... but it won't sink the boat :)

And to that point you will no doubt have a substantive list-- focus on floating, and keeping the mast in the air and the keel attached- everything else can follow. I think I'm 4 seasons in and just now getting the little things knocked out, but have been sailing safely along the way.

Don't forget to go sailing :)

Pic of my version of that repair:

IMG_2450.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020
Sage advice Surf, thank you. And beautiful repair! The eye and plate need to be replaced, but most likely not for another couple months. I think the tar pit is staying right where its at for the foreseeable future as well : )

Waiting for some parts so here are the original cushions. Going to blast the fabric with some of that goop today and let 'em dry out good. Think we'll save some $$ for now and put a couple strips of heavy duty hook and loop under and across the zip sides

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
welcome!

I'd focus on the keel, it's attachments, keel trunk, volcano, bow eye....structural/functional first...cosmetics down the road...
2 cents.