New To Sailing/site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2011
Macgregor 26X Lake Murray
I am new to your site, and have spent hours reading posts and learning about sailing. I am very impressed with how friendly and helpfull peope are here. :)
I have never sailed on my own, and my last experience was 25 years ago, but having talked it over with the boss (wife), we would like to learn to sail and maybe purchase in the next year. I have (limited) motor boat experience in the Great lakes and ICW in Florida.
I like what I have read from Macgregor owners about ease of use, maintance, trailering, SAFETY, and cost vs benefits.
So far the 26x looks like it would meet our needs and provide flexibility.
We are looking for a boat to use in Michigan waters, in-land to start. We are a family of four (47/47/13/10), adventurous, fit, like to travel, fish, sun and fun, all 4 motorcycle riders...ect.
I welcome all opinions and recommendations for starting out safely and sanely.
Respectfully,
Rich

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Welcome, Rich. Some of the things you need to do before buying a boat include determining your needs: (1) Are you interested in just daysailing, overnighting occasionally, or cruising for extended periods? (2) Where do you plan to sail (Great Lakes, smaller inland lakes, rivers, etc.)? (3) How many people do you want to accommodate (just the 4 of you, or more)? (4) Do you want to trailer sail or rent a slip? (5) What is your budget for a) buying b) operating your boat?

You need the answers to these and perhaps some other questions before you seriously consider buying a boat to make sure you get one that will meet your needs. With little past experience, it may take some time to determine those answers. Read some books (other posters will most likely recommend some), take a course (with your wife), try to make some friends who will let you crew on their boat for experience- and keep reading this site! Best wishes -Paul

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
macgregor-sailors.com has more X and M owners....

From what I read, you want a Minimum of 50hp engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.