New To Sailing, Just picked up a 1974 MacGregor V2-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2013
MacGregor V2-22 Trailered
My girl and I have been talking about learning how to sail and the other night she was looking over Craigslist and dreaming about boats. She then looked on the free section and saw a listing for a MacGregor with a trailer so we went and picked it up.

The guy said it had been sitting in his field since 1981. I really seemed to be in bad shape from the looks and smell of the thing but she wanted it so we dragged it home. I wish I had more before pictures but I didn't think to take many. Here's a couple to give you an idea.

but with a pressure washer and a lot of elbow grease, I got her clean.

well, pretty clean...

so after all that cleaning, I found a few area's that need some attention. Mostly Stress cracks or spider cracks.

this last one is little pin holes

Right now I'm trying to figure how far I want to get into this boat. I've read that it is a great little boat to learn on and many people have a true love for them. I see this boat as a stepping point for a slightly bigger boat, Something I could spend a week or two at a time on (that is assuming that I enjoy sailing)

I'm no stranger to fiberglass work and have to fear of getting my hands dirty, even doing things I've never done before. But if those little cracks aren't detrimental to the boat in the short term, I think I might just like to get it in the water and learn a thing or two sailing, then maybe, patch up those cracks.

I will need to replace a few things first, like the keel crank is rusted solid. and I think I'd like to look at the keel cable as well. All of the wood needs replacing and I'll need an out board.

But I would like your opinions first. Should I fix her up real pretty or just use her like the old boat she is?

Thanks,

Joel

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Wife said buy it so I did - and then I learned about it. Brilliant.

We bought a 1973 Venture - If I knew then what I know now I would have bought a different boat. There is not one damn thing that doesn't or didn't need attention. Some major things I had to fix or am fixing now (soft decks is a biggie).

But - shes ours and I'm going to fix her up - over the course of years. After the first year I cut the interior all up for a new layout. Going for functionality and ability to sail while under construction. Pretty will come later. Much later. Our longest stay on this boat is about three weeks without a port.

Whatever is wrong with yours you can fix or improve if you want - especially if you don't mind cutting the thing up and gluing it back together - I no longer fear it at all. Its only plastic!!!! Anything can be constructed and if you want pretty you better start loving sanding things.

Really only you can decide. Its alot of work, its alot of fun. And its not bad to trailer.

Apr 20, 2012
Macgregor 25 Charlestown RI
Welcome aboard! What you are describing seem to be mostly cosmetic, as long as you don't have spongy decks, holes and things of that nature you have good find! It will be something you and your girl can enjoy doing together. BWYachts.com have parts for Macgregor boats if you want to check them out.

I have also found that reading past posts can give you a wealth of information so please don't miss out on that.

Enjoy!!!!

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
You know, when I got my Mac, I was only looking for a trailer for a sailboat I had that was far worse. Turns out when I mentioned needing a trailer to a customer, he said he had one that I could have for free. "Really? You are going to give me a trailer?" He said yep, the catch is you have to take the boat that's on it too. Turns out it was a 1990 Mac that had been sitting for 6 years. A branch had fallen and bent the mast. The great part is, the mast and motor were the only good things on my current boat.

It's a work in progress. But it's working out well.

Free is a bit deceptive. Pieces and parts add up quick but still it's ok

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
First I believe that is 1974 the boat was still a Venture not a Mac. It changed about that time so I am not sure.

The first thing I would do is remove every thing from inside, including the area under the front V birth and under the cock pit. The original paint is probably pealing on the inside. Check the stringers in the hull for rot. You may also pull the removable parts of the inside trim to see what it looks. like

If every thing looks good I would then give the outside a good washing, you may have to use a mild bleach, to remove the mold.

After having climbed all over the inside and out you should have found any soft areas. So you should know it you are willing to spend the money for restoration.

If the keel needs to be completely re fiber glassed it will cost about 2k. If it is basically sound you can do the minor fiberglass repair yourself

The stress cracks are probably in the gell coat and are not structural. Nor is the condition in the last picture.

So if we are good so far, a little rubbing compound as NECESSARY, some fiberglass cleaner and a good wax will have you sailing.

When you save enough money you can have or do the surface fiberglass repair and repainting.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
how about an inventory? Do you have sails, mast, boom, rudder, running rigging? engine? (^the big money items)

once you have all the basics, I'd look at the structure. keel is a very big deal. you don't want to loose it.

most of what I see is cosmetic, and can be done later.

I would inspect the chainplates and cables (stays) replace if any have broken wires. (west marine will let you use their bench and tools).

personally, I'd get it to the water asap, so I could raise the mast, try and lower the keel, and see what is missing. (not to sail, just to do a 'wet' test).

maybe motor around a bit then back on the trailer.

before you get too deep you want to see how much of an investment you'll be looking at. then you can make decisions on where you want to go.

these are good boats, and you will have a nice boat if you fix it. but you may never get your money out... so be sure you're ok with the boat before you dive in.

Matros

Dec 7, 2012
Wow I can't believe how much washing and scrubbing did to the appearance of it.

Congratulations on your new boat!

Like you I'm in a very similar place. I bought my boat in November and have been researching and learning about it all winter long. Just last weekend I finally started the re-build.

There's lots of great people here with a ton of ideas you can steal for yourself. Be sure to keep us updated with lot of pictures along the way.

Good luck!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
a stout acid will get rid of the deep staining in the oxidized gelcoat nicely....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Like MrBill says, you won't know if it's worth it until you do an inventory. Got sails, rigging, motor, keel?

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
For my money, I'd say fix what needs fixing to get on the water and then go and sail. get a feel for the boat ad ailing an see if you like it. There will always be time to improve the boat.

My $.02

Matt

Apr 3, 2013
MacGregor V2-22 Trailered
Great responses! Thanks.

Oh, it is in fact a Venture as someone pointed out. V2-22 I believe.

I have the sails, jibs, rudder/tiller. I haven't looked at the keel yet (except to look under the trailer and see that it's there and doesn't look terrible from what I can see) I do not have an outboard. And the keel crank is rusted solid.

Walking around the deck, I didn't feel any soft spots. Not sure about the hull yet. Speaking of the hull, I'm trying to figure out how to get it off the trailer to check out the keel and polish it up. I bought something from West Marine that the sales guy highly suggested and in fact talked me out of spending money on paints and other stuff until I did this. Removes oxidation and polishes. I need to fix the wood supports on the trailer as well. I'm sure this has been covered, can anyone direct me to a good thread on this subject?

Once again,

Thanks, I'm really excited about this new adventure.

Sep 30, 2012
macgregor 26s 1993 cranbrook bc
Great responses! Thanks.

I have the sails, jibs, rudder/tiller. I haven't looked at the keel yet (except to look under the trailer and see that it's there and doesn't look terrible from what I can see) I do not have an outboard. And the keel crank is rusted solid.

Walking around the deck, I didn't feel any soft spots. Not sure about the hull yet. Speaking of the hull, I'm trying to figure out how to get it off the trailer to check out the keel and polish it up. I bought something from West Marine that the sales guy highly suggested and in fact talked me out of spending money on paints and other stuff until I did this. Removes oxidation and polishes. I need to fix the wood supports on the trailer as well. I'm sure this has been covered, can anyone direct me to a good thread on this subject?

Once again,

Here you go. Sum is a wealth of information. Everything he does is documented with pictures and discriptions. It is quite amazing. He has a macgregor 26 s, but the concepts should be pretty transferable.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-3.html

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
just watch out on the keel, its around 600#.

you'll need more than arm strength to inspect or remove.

sumner's is about 50#. (waterbalast boat).

also your bunks will be a bit different.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
What a difference a lot of elbow grease can make. As mentioned removing keel can be difficult and dangerous. I removed keel of our '71 and refinished. Basically you have to jack up the boat, roll out the trailer and drop the keel. I built a platform on heavy casters and uprights to keep the keel vertical. Then you can also replace trailer bunks and carpet at the same time. Can't remember (CRS) was the '74 keel cast iron or glassed over? A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour endless amounts of money. Keep us posted.

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Was it me, I'd leave the keel alone aside from a visual inspection in place, and replacing the cable and bolt. Unless it leaks the pivot bolt is probably ok. It hasn't spent enough time in the water to develop any serious problems, mine had a similar history and it only has surface rust. You can get a keel winch from Northern Tool, you want a brake winch, a trailer winch with the reversible pawl is dangerous, and the cable from West Marine, you want 7/32 7strand wire about 11' long, you can use their tools to crimp the fittings in the store. I'd get it on the water before making it perfect, the little spiderweb cracks are probably just in the gelcoat and cosmetic.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Great responses! Thanks.

I bought something from West Marine that the sales guy highly suggested "in fact talked me out of spending money on paints and other stuff until I did this". Removes oxidation and polishes.

Once again,

he didnt talk you out of anything.... he just talked you into spending more money.... but thats his job and he's doing it well;)

like Timo42 alludes to, refurbishing the keel with paint and polish is a waste of time and money at this point....
there are many other more important things that need your attention to get it ready for the water...

...inspect the sails carefully to insure they are going to hold together. no rips,tears or highly worn spots left unattended to.
...check the sail slugs and hanks.... insure you have the shackles necessary to get everything connected.
...check the lines to make sure you have all of them and they are the correct length.
...check every fitting that a line will run thru to insure its snug to the deck and not cracked or broken.
...check every fitting that something else connects to or will connect to.... (goose neck, pintles and gudgeons, tabernacle, rudder and tiller, chainplates, upper stay attachments, ect....)
...as was already said, the keel bolt, lockdown pin, cable and winch.

you will soon find you have plenty to spend your time and money on right now without needing the keel polished:D

Status
Not open for further replies.