New to sailing just bought a Mac 26X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2010
Macgregor 26X trailering
My husband and I are brand new to sailing, I mean we have never sailed before, and just bought a Macgrgor 26X. We plan to sail ion the amazing lakes in North Idaho and Eastern Washington.

Any Mac owners in teh area that might be willing to give us some pointers or lessons???

Cheers!

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Hi, and welcome! :)

Like you, I just bought my first sailboat: a 1978 MacGregor 22 that I'm fixing up at home. And I've never sailed a boat before (only a sailboard).

I just want to say two things:

(1) From what I've been learning lately, you've bought a really great boat. Maybe the best.

(2) You've definitely joined a great group of knowledgeable and helpful MacGregor owners here. If you have questions, these are the folks to ask. They've been a tremendous help to me, and I'm sure they'll be a lot of help to you, too.

Best of luck with your new boat. I think you're going to love it.

VBR,

Pat

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
My husband and I are brand new to sailing, I mean we have never sailed before, and just bought a Macgrgor 26X. We plan to sail ion the amazing lakes in North Idaho and Eastern Washington.

Any Mac owners in the area that might be willing to give us some pointers or lessons???

Cheers!
Congrats and welcome :).

We don't live there, but sailed there last summer. Like you we had only had the boat in the water 5 days (never sailed before that) before heading to Northern Idaho and then on to Canada.

We had thought about sailing Lake Pend Oreille, but chickened out. I would advise only day sailing that lake in the big part until you learn more about what you are doing. It is my understanding that BIG waves can come up on that lake quickly. You might consider sailing the west arm of it at first. If we go back we would like to do the west arm and then the main part of the lake.

After spending the night on the boat on the trailer at Pend Oreille we went on to Priest Lake.

We would definitely recommend Priest and Upper Priest. We went after John on here mentioned them and loved them.

After leaving there we went on up to.......

........ Kootenay in Canada and sailed the west arm there and went out to the big part of the lake one day. The conditions there can change very quickly. I'd put that one on hold also until after you have been out a few times. It is a great lake and we would like to go back there also.

We saw X's and M's on Priest and Kootenay, but only one motoring.

We have the trip report here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-trips-1/macgregor-trips-1-index.html

...that might give you some ideas.

Good luck,

Sum and Ruth

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Aug 16, 2010
macgregor 26s lake wissota
I have had a 26s for 3 years and I highly recommend an ASA level 1 sail course. You may have one near you or could get over to Oregon or Washington for a lesson. It is timer and money well spent. Also read as much as possible about sailing and your boat. You have come to the right place to get advice (more detailed than mine), welcome aboard! Capt. Bob, slugbug

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Do you have a yacht club or sailing association in your area. They are probably a great bunch of folks, as most sailors are, and they can either get you going in the right direction or may even be able to give you some lessons. Accept all the good advice you can get. Fair winds, Old Salt...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Not being the tightest knot on the rope

Not being the tightest knot on the rope, I got the "Sailing For Dummys" book, looked at the pictures and put my Mac 26D on the lake.:D

Note to self: Reef the main and lower the Jib.:eek: This takes alot of power out of the sails and makes the boat easier to sail.

Motor out to the middle of the lake to raise/lower the sails. More room and less on lookers.

Mac's are one of the best sail boats and very easy to sail.:dance:

Happy Sailing,
Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.