New to me 1975 Catalina 22: questions

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Hi folks, I just checked off a bucket list item, getting myself an old Catalina 22. It appears to be in rough shape, almost everything on it needs replaced, but it seems to be solid enough. However, i have some questions.

1. how do you know when the keel is cranked all the way down? There doesn't seem to be a perceptible chance in friction when cranking down, unless I just haven't cranked down far enough. But there are only a few wraps left on the winch drum.
2. How do you know when the keel is cranked all the way up? Does it simply stop? I know these last two may seem silly, but I'm awfully cautious as I can't tell yet the condition of the keel cable. I can't tell if this boat has had a keel cable failure, but I suspect it might as there is some cracking in the keel trunk. I've only sailed it a couple times so far this year, no visible sign of water ingress was observed, but it does get moist around those cracks.
3. how do you get the keel crank off? There is no nut, and I would like to examine the keel lifting gear.
4. Is this thing that looks like a sink drain a sink drain? It runs to a shut-off valve beneath the steps, into a T for the cockpit drains.
5. Are those shut-off valves original? They don't look like typical thru-hull shut-off valves to me, and appear to be in need of replacement.

Thanks so much for any help! I'm very excited about working on this boat over the winter. I am planning on taking it out of the water for the season on Thursday.
drain.jpgKeel crank.jpgshut off valves.jpg

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
I have a 1974, so very similar.

1. You can kind of hear/feel it when it's all the way down. To double-check I push my finger against the cable. If it has some slack in it, then the keel is all the way down.

2. It goes <clunk> and stops cranking.

3. Dunno, yours looks different than mine.

4. If you still have the slide-out galley when the sink slides out it's over that drain. This seems like a terrible idea, and I've never used mine this way.

5. Yes, they're original. And they're terrible. Remember, if that bit fails the boat sinks. The first project I did when I got mine was to replace that gate valve with a proper sea cock.

I'd be a bit concerned about those cracks you mentioned. Keep an eye on them, for sure.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Welcome to the forum & congratulations on the new boat. I'd definitely replace the valve pronto - check out and/or call Catalina Direct for parts. They have everything needed, and also offer technical support for all C22's. They will be well familiar with what you need, and I've personally found their prices to be reasonable.

As far as the winch handle - it does look like an unusual set-up. I'd probably start removing the face board, and see if you can get a better view. Maybe it's a jam fit handle? Like Minnesail said - that drain looks like it's left over from a separate sliding galley that might be missing on your boat. I like cooking in the cockpit anyway, and there's plenty of good seats and counter-space out there. Good luck, and feel free to ask questions, and also look over some old posts. Almost anything you run into has probably been discussed in the past, and there's a lot of good advice - and also what to keep any eye out for, etc.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Before you take the boat out of the water - you should probably dry the keel trunk area thoroughly, especially around the cracks. Then sprinkle talcum power or chalk dust heavy around the whole area around the cracks, and take the boat out in the lake if you can. It's probably best to try to get a handle on if/where it might be leaking from ASAP - as that might dictate what projects you need to prioritize over the winter. If you can't take the boat out to put some stress on it, I'd leave the chalk or talcum down at least over-night, just to be more sure. Feel free to ask any questions-

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Welcome!!!
+1 to all the above. That access panel to the winch will come off with some persuasion, then drill out the hole a bit larger b4 replacing.

Definitely replace all that plumbing including the forward drains portion, lose the T to the slide out galley, (unless you have one and are going to use it).

Get it out of the water and inspect the keel, keel bolts, cable, pivot pin, cable connections pronto. Order the kit from CD.

Read a couple years of posts, especially the longer ones, everything you need is right here!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2005
Thanks All! Minne, great pictures and thanks for that. Unfortunately I can't remove the access panel to expose the keel winch with the winch crank in place. I do not have the original galley, and don't plan on getting one. Great idea with the talcum powder. I won't be sailing the boat before haul out but I'll see what I can do to put stress on that area during the motor to the ramp. I do know it's important to figure that out. I had a Catalina 25 for many years that came with a swing keel. The PO had the keel drop and damage the trunk and I did the swing to wing conversion that Catalina offered at the time.

I already have a spreadsheet of replacement parts thru Catalina direct, all new standing and running rigging, conversion kit to internal halyards, mast step plate, etc..., totaling almost $1,700 so far, and I'm not done by any means.

I'll be sure to research previous posts. :) Thanks everyone!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Great you have the prior experience from your C25, you're light years ahead from where many of us started out!
Jig saw, dremel, wiggle saw (multi-tool) that winch panel hole a bit larger to get it off...then clean up the hole mess with a hole saw (larger hole) on the bench...(believe that was my method anyway)...plz post pics of your journey, we like pics!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018
Catalina 22 Westerly
I've also got a 1975 Catalina 22. She also needs some work but we are getting there. I will also be doing keel cable maintenance this winter. catalinadirect.com sells maintenance and repair kits that might be a good place to start when looking for keel hardware.

1 and 3: On my boat when the keel is all the way down the crank handle will start to come off. Crank like you are lowering it and eventually the handle will be in your hand. Thats how I know its all the way down. Easier to tell inexperienced crew that instead of feeling for slack on the cable.

Jul 5, 2005
Good idea on that, rpludwig, I hadn't thought of that. Captain Wind Song, I'll try your idea before I cut into that access plate. :)

Jul 5, 2005
Captain Wind Song's idea worked! I pulled the boat this last week and lowered the keel onto the trailer keel support, and the handle almost immediately screwed off after I continued cranking counter clockwise a couple times. Thanks all! now the work begins to update/upgrade everything.