New Sailor In Need Of Advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2011
Hunter Legend 35 Dauphin Island
Due to the death of my neighbor and sailing partner, I am now in charge with keeping up his boat. I have a good deal of sailing and boating experience, however, this is a new and much larger boat to me.
If anyone has experience with a 1987 Hunter Legend 35, please email me so that I can have a few questions answered!

A few problems that I am having trouble figuring out is mainly with the engine...
What type of oil should go into the Yanmar Diesel?
How do you check the oil? Not sure if the oil gauge is working.
How do you check the fuel? Not sure if the fuel gauge is working.
How to get the kill switch to pull out? Is there a special technique or is it stuck?

The boat has not left the slip in two years, however, it will crank right up, sails and lines are in adequate shape, and if I can get a few of these things figured out, I am ready to take her out!

Thanks in advance for the help!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
There is a dipstick to check the oil. The gauge is for pressure.

The fuel tank may be visible under the cockpit and may be translucent plastic. If so, the fuel level will be visible. Otherwise I am sure a hunter owner can tell you more.

Yanmar kill switches are known for sticking. I tried to lube mine, but replacement is the best option. My throttle is set so that the engine will stall if the throttle is dropped all the way. I know about it, but it is not recommended as it creates a hazard.

bria46

Jan 15, 2011
Oday 272 Waukegan, IL, Sarasota, FL
I've used Shell Rotella T in my Diesel engines for years.

Apr 20, 2011
Endeavour E32 St. Augustine
Yeah, I use Rotella as well. I'd also check the fuel filter before you go out. Make sure it's clean. After a couple years at the dock there's bound to be a lot of junk in the tank.

Nov 26, 2006
Hunter 31 1987 Fly Creek Marina Fairhope,AL.
id be happyy to come down and meet you at the boat .. give me a shout

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Take Chuck up on his offer

Take Capt. Chuck up on his offer. Not only is he a 200 ton master, but he is sail boat knowledgable, and an all round good guy. If your new to sailboats, you couldn't do much better for a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.