New Pop Ups

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
So just since a minute or two ago when I come to SBO, I get a couple of pop ups in the right corner asking if my PC is too slow or to Activate System Protection. When I click a button, a new tab opens up for me on some "Security Software". Is this intentional? Doesn't happen anywhere else.... Even got a redirect when I just clicked "Post New Topic". Will be steering clear of here for a while.....

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
We are in the process of changing the ad hosting, which you normally wouldn't see because 90% of them are only shown to users who are not logged in. There may be an error in the code that hides the ad to logged-in users.

However... that you got something popping up when you clicked a button indicates it could be malware. We'll run an extra scan here but also check your device. It's easier to plant that garbage on a device than it is on a server.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Here's what I've got so far:

If you're seeing two very small banners in the upper right corner, that's legit and it's new. However, you should not see them if you are logged in.

The button click / redirect is NOT anything we're doing and I can't replicate what you're describing, so that is probably malware on your computer or phone.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I'm getting the same pop ups and adult ads. I'm signed in of course. Not clicking on them only deleting them but they are persistent. Does not happen on any other site.

May 12, 2004

May 12, 2004
Copied the URL but cannot paste post reply. The above message keeps posting instead. Will try again.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Any change now?

Oh, and I got the URL, no worries. It's just showing us the content but it's just as good.

May 12, 2004

May 12, 2004

Happens no matter what post I access.

May 12, 2004
Let me try without the https. forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/new-pop-ups.1249931575/

May 12, 2004
Phil, the pop ups have disappeared. Went to the newest thread and the two before this one and all was good. Whatever you did, a big thank you. It was getting a bit scary for awhile. Have a :beer: on me.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Seems to be good to go now. Glad you were able to get it resolved quickly.