New owner, resources for model/year information?

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
Hello,

Any sites that detail year by year productions for the C22, specifically what changed in that year, and was it a positive change?

I have just purchased a 1976 Catalina 22 that is in okay shape for its age. However, I was wondering what issues are specific to model year runs. I heard that in 1997 they change the mast to accommodate larger headsails greater than 110%.

It looks to be in good shape as far as being a boat, but there are some aspects that may need to be addressed. For example, it needs to be rewired, it has no electrics. Not a problem per se, I plan to sail in sunny weather.

I purchased the boat, the trailer, and a four stroke motor for $1,500. My initial investment is small, but I was looking for a boat that I could learn to sail on. I wanted something that was forgiving, and stable. If we love the boat, make some repairs. If we want a larger boat, sell and buy up. If we hate sailing...? Not gonna happen!

The boat was in salt water for the last five years, and I am positive neither the keel cable or keel were paid any attention to. So I may drop the keel, inspect, and at least replace the cable, before we place it in a slip.

The other aspects, for now, is just given her a good scrub. Doll her up a bit, and learn some sailing.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

Snoopy_

https://whichsailboat.com/2015/08/22/catalina-22-review/

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
You have a wealth of resources buried in the forum on just about any repair topic under the sun-- use the search function liberally, Stingy Sailor , Capn Don, Cloud Diver and many many others have dutifully documented their progress.

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
pclarksurf,

I have been to all those sites, and yes there is a wealth of knowledge, I agree. However, what I was looking for was detailed information about the production runs, as well as the pros and cons of each model change.

For example: On the www.theannemarie.com website there is a "history document "http://www.theannemarie.com/img/cat22-history.pdf" that details production runs by serial number, models, years

I was interested that what major changes, if any took place between each year, in the same model. For example, what changes took place between 1976 and the new model year in 1977. Such as the mast change. These C22s are so ubiquitous on the internet I assumed there may be such information in one place. Just wondering.... I can't find it. It be interesting to know if a 1974 was more desirable that a 1975, etc. Or, what you should/could change to make it better than.

Thanks,

Snoopy_

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
That graphic you posted lists The changes... simply :

Original c22
New style c22
C22 mark 2
Sport

There is no real info on individual model years. Mostly because there little to no changes of any consequence from year to year.
Some early boats had optional heads instead of portapottie.
some real early boats were supposedly lighter than other early boats but that about all I've heard of.
Mast change in 76
Fin keel in 73

Otherwise you get 4 models.

So your 76 is basically like a 72... or an 84...

That site you linked covers the changes.

They were not changed from year to year like cars were.

Last edited:
May 13, 2016
Catalina 22 MK II 15377 Granbury Texas
The Catalina 22 National Sailing Association has been a wealth of info for me, a new owner also. The Capn Don mentioned above by pclarksurf if the Commodore of the Association and an active contributor here.

The history you mentioned is more complete from the association website. There are also all kinds of helpful downloads. Several hundred pages of tech bulletins, manuals, and articles.
https://www.catalina22.org
The post here by the people mentioned will practically walk you thru rebuilding from the ground up. Good bunch of sailors here.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If you join the c22 national association, check back issues of the "Mainbrace".
There gave been a series of articles on the different C22 editions.

Other than the obvious differences, the "new style" has a bunch of other upgrades. Better bow eye reinforcement for example. Many of which are more or less available from CatalinaDirect.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
One of our members, I thought it was Gene, wrote a post that a pretty complete list of the changes and upgrades that were made to the C-22's between the various versions. I guess it wasn't Gene because I looked through his threads from his profile page and could not locate it. Anyway, if anyone remembers the thread I am talking about and can locate it please paste the link.
FYI to Snoopy, a lot of the 'upgrades' in hardware and other 'bolt ons' can be purchased for your boat from Catalina Direct. Chances are you might need to replace these items in any case so you have the chance to get the improved version that was made available on 'later' hulls. The only things you can't change are major structural items like your type of keel, the beam width (yours is 7'6"), and your cabin type (i.e. no pop top). Nearly everything else is fair game and mostly depends on how much you can withstand sticker shock, lol.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
One of our members, I thought it was Gene, wrote a post that a pretty complete list of the changes and upgrades that were made to the C-22's between the various versions. I guess it wasn't Gene because I looked through his threads from his profile page and could not locate it. Anyway, if anyone remembers the thread I am talking about and can locate it please paste the link.
Found it for you. It was Watercolors, in post #32: http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/looking-at-buying-a-c22.170088/page-2

"The new style which is 1986 and newer is the way to go if your going to stay overnight and use the cabin quite a bit when on a sailing trip. The added changes are for using the cabin over the older style of hull.

First the new style, starting from bow to stern, has an anchor locker built into the bow, plenty of room for two anchors, chain and over 200 feet of rode with a drain out the bow for wet gear. I keep the rode for the second anchor, which I normally use at the stern, in a cockpit lazarette near the stern.

The front of the cabin has been extended at a greater sloping angle with the forward opening hatch in this cabin roof where it will give better ventilation than the old placement flush on the foredeck. The old style will work better for sail changes during racing than the new placement but, the extra v-berth headroom is better for camping.

The vinyl cover over the pop top attaches with snaps all around the outside edge of the cabin roof which gives a large shelf on three side of the pop top to store clothing or bedding for easy access while anchored. This cover extends down over the companion way with a two way zipper for a door, you do not use the crib boards with the pop top enclosure.

The sliding galley of the old style has changed to a permanent setup next to the v-berth in which there is a permanent sink on the port side with a counter top area and a built in waste paper container setup under the counter plus additional space for storage. A five gallon jerry can water tank sets in a special cut out under the v-berth cushions with a hand pump at the sink. On the starboard side is a place for a two burner stove and a very deep drawer under this stove.

The table settee is on the portside and looks shorter than the old style but, the back cushion for the back bench seat has a strong wooden backing and a special support and slot to slide this back cushion under the port side cockpit bench to give you over 6 feet of sleeping accommodations. Under both settee benches is storage. The floor under the table is level on the new style where the old had a step-over keel trunk you have to deal with. The starboard quarter berth where the galley slid now has a lift lid under the cushion for full storage under this quarter berth.

The two small shelfs on each side of the cabin are now gone in the new styling!

The main step down into the cabin from the cockpit is now a 48 quart cooler and the areas under the cockpit benches is now accessible from inside the cabin only. The starboard area has a cushion that extends 75 percent of the way back to the stern for sleeping children with storage underneath this cushion and the port bench is open under with a divider back 24 inches from the cabin settee seat to keep small storage stuff more organized.
In this area under the port cockpit bench seat only accessible from inside the cabin I have stored an inflatable 8 foot dingy, pop-top enclosure, cockpit table, 3 sails, cockpit awning, tool box, sheets and other small sailing items.

At the stern the new style has a, sealed from the cabin and storage area, fuel tank storage area on the port side, The fuel line comes out on the floor near the stern and feeds through a scupper hole in the stern to the outboard on the portside. On the starboard side at the stern is a deep storage area under the bench seat where one 12 volt battery is located and room for anchors, rodes, mooring lines, fenders, water buckets, cleaning equipment and supplies and extra room for small items needed for the outside of the boat.

At the stern is a new setup on the traveler so that it is adjustable although it is still short.

The new style may feature extra winches on the cabin top with internal halyards leading back to the cockpit.

The greatest improvement over the old style in the cockpit is that the floor slope is now towards the stern and the drains are now through the stern above the waterline with no grates to become plugged with debris to dam up water in the cockpit."

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Gene: thanks for sharing Watercolors' write-up on the New Design models - he nailed it. I sold my 1981 a month or so ago - loved her and she was a great first boat in great condition - and we now sail our 1987 exclusively. The cabin and other improvements are really nice for family sailing. I'm a bit slower when racing, but that's a small trade-off for me.

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
The Catalina 22 History Book posted on the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association can help you identify some of the changes. Plus, the Catalina 22 Technical Manual 2017 Update features reviews of all four Catalina 22 models in a single publication. History Book is posted at http://catalina22.org/index.php/2013-03-27-11-30-18, and updates are always encouraged to be submitted.