New Owner Here...

Jun 10, 2020
Catalina 22 Lake Wylie, SC
Hi all,

I've been hanging around the "trailer Sailor" forum for a week or so and someone suggested I hang out here too.

So here's my original intro in the string below. I am too lazy to start a fresh one. ;) Looking forward to sharing as I discover things about this 1977 Catalina 22.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Welcome-- very good place to hang out. If you have a c-22 everything you wanted to know and then some is at your fingertips. And you get a newbie pass for the moment-- we want pics :)

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Iowa
I just bought a Catalina 22 late last season so I'm right there with you. Congrats and enjoy!

Jun 10, 2020
Catalina 22 Lake Wylie, SC
Welcome-- very good place to hang out. If you have a c-22 everything you wanted to know and then some is at your fingertips. And you get a newbie pass for the moment-- we want pics :)

They're in the thread I posted above, but here you go...new dock first, old dock second.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
Welcome aboard! Bought a 2004 Cat22 MkII last November and joined the forum. You'll find there's a wealth of information and expertise here, and most importantly, there's no such thing as a dumb question....:)

Zinger88
~~ _/) ~

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Welcome aboard !

As for a bareboat licence... In spite of the "official" stance... I once was asked at a party 10 years ago, by a bvi charter staff member, if i knew how they tested to see if you could rent one.
She told me to hold out my hand and checked to see if i had a pulse.
Having seen many of the charterers in the BVIs, i wouldn't be surprised. Other charter locations are different

Jul 13, 2015
Welcome aboard !

As for a bareboat licence... In spite of the "official" stance... I once was asked at a party 10 years ago, by a bvi charter staff member, if i knew how they tested to see if you could rent one.
She told me to hold out my hand and checked to see if i had a pulse.
Having seen many of the charterers in the BVIs, i wouldn't be surprised. Other charter locations are different
Funny-- very true in the BVI, they want your money, and you are way less scary than a hurricane.

Domestically, however; it's a good idea and even if you are fully ASA certified the local charters will take a close look at your resume and still put you through some version of a ringer. I chartered last summer with Anacortes Yacht Charters (highly recommend) -- sent up my 1,000+ offshore hours plus ASA plus live-aboard blah blah blah... and because I didn't have "recent" experience (wait what? you calling me old?? :) ) I had to spend the first hour getting my boat handling/ docking skills assessed.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I had to spend the first hour getting my boat handling/ docking skills assessed.
Yup. Location location location. Part of it is ease of sailing. The PNW is a whole different ball game compared to a place with almost no tide and mostly line of sight navigation. I have yet to charter in Europe but i understand they are more stringent. If i had to Med Moor i would be an absolute beginner. Back when i took my sailing certification classes i found the RYA stuff seemed to be a higher standard than the CYA. Not sure if that is still the case. Litigation may also part of it.

Jul 13, 2015
Cracked me up -- (but I get it...) "Do you have tidal experience?" Me: yes-- SF Bay Area from Bodega to Monterey 5-8' depending. "well we have 12 foot tides up here" Me: indeed- you do, and I can read a chart and have elementary school math skills. :)

Last edited:

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Hi all,

I've been hanging around the "trailer Sailor" forum for a week or so and someone suggested I hang out here too.

So here's my original intro in the string below. I am too lazy to start a fresh one. ;) Looking forward to sharing as I discover things about this 1977 Catalina 22.

Hi there! I'm also a newbie after being away from it for 35 yrs. First off, these are a great bunch of Captains here that will help to answer your questions! They've been great with my questions (so far). Lol Enjoy!