New Outboard Motor Advice Needed

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hey Gang,

It time for me to buy a new motor for my C22. I currently have a Honda 5 hp, but it is long in the tooth. It is from the early 80's. Plus, the girlfriend will fell so much more comfortable and confident knowing there is a new motor hanging off the back of the boat (and that might get her on the boat more....). We sail primarily on lakes, the California Delta, San Francisco Bay, and Monterey Bay.

I am pretty sure from my research so far that a Tohatsu is the most bang for the buck. I know I want at least a 5 hp, but I am considering moving up to a 6 hp. So my questions are:

1. Is moving up to the 6 hp worth the additional money?
2. If I buy the 6 hp, I can get the Sail Pro model with battery charging ability. How helpful is this feature?
3. Do I buy the long shaft (20") or the extra long shaft (25")?
4. There are some new-in-box motors for sale from past model years, 2017 and 2019 that are significantly less money than the 2020 model. Is this a viable option, knowing that the remaining warranty may not be for the full five years?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate all the help this forum provides.

Cheers,
Kevin

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Tohatsu makes most of the outboards in 6 horse and under. They are a fine motor. My Tohatsu 6 hp is a Nissan. I got the long shaft for my 23, seems to work fine, though the long the easier to get the prop into the water. I wouldnt seeany issues with a new motor that was a year old. A 5 or 6 will move the boat just fine, more is better, especially in a current, which you might run into in SF bay. Battery charging would be nice, though I have done without. Not really needed unless you overnight for more than a night.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
not a lot to go wrong with an aging 5hp 2 stroke...5 hp is enuff, it will drive you at hull speed, providing it's a long shaft (20" or greater)....replace the impeller, clean/boil out the carb/jets, change the plug, change the lower unit oil, chk the prop, replace the pull start cord...you can likely do the above for a couple hundred bucks or less....OR buy yourself a new 6hp tohatsu for $1600 (great motor).......likely no end result difference, except in your pocketbook, and you may then be California 4 stroke compliant & environmentally correct (at your expense) not theirs! fwiw....

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I just got the Tohatsu 5hp SailPro Propane version and it’s been great. Very quiet and super efficient on propane, plus you never have to worry about ethanol or fuel system problems. And since propane never goes bad or has water issues, it’s a reliable fuel source. You just need a safe place to store the tank that’s well vented low and doesn’t come into the cabin (which my O’Day 192 has).

14A67AB3-7146-4D74-8D9D-BDCAFAA912C0.jpeg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
1. Is moving up to the 6 hp worth the additional money?

You will never look back and regret the investment! ;)

2. If I buy the 6 hp, I can get the Sail Pro model with battery charging ability. How helpful is this feature?

It helps a little. You'll still need some charging from other sources.

3. Do I buy the long shaft (20") or the extra long shaft (25")?

We have a 20". It has been enough 98% of the time, but for the sake of the other 2%, I might get a 25" next time.

4. There are some new-in-box motors for sale from past model years, 2017 and 2019 that are significantly less money than the 2020 model. Is this a viable option, knowing that the remaining warranty may not be for the full five years?

I'd take that deal any day. These motors aren't perfect, but they're stupid reliable.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I just got the Tohatsu 5hp SailPro Propane version and it’s been great. Very quiet and super efficient on propane, plus you never have to worry about ethanol or fuel system problems. And since propane never goes bad or has water issues, it’s a reliable fuel source. You just need a safe place to store the tank that’s well vented low and doesn’t come into the cabin (which my O’Day 192 has).

View attachment 168800
I was considering a propane motor

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
How big of a tank do you have and how long does it last? Thanks!
I have been running a Tohatsu Propane for a year and a half now. I like it, but it has limitations. If you want some detailed information, PM me with your questions and I will get back to you. The very mention of propane and motor seems to start a flaming discussion (no pun intended), so I'd rather message off line.

Mike

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
How big of a tank do you have and how long does it last? Thanks!
With two 1lb bottles in a dual carrier, my test ran for 28 minutes full throttle, then gradually decreasing RPMs for another 30 minutes.
I also have an 11lb Viking fiberglass tank which I estimate would run 5+ hours.

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
With two 1lb bottles in a dual carrier, my test ran for 28 minutes full throttle, then gradually decreasing RPMs for another 30 minutes.
I also have an 11lb Viking fiberglass tank which I estimate would run 5+ hours.
I see similar results. I run down a 1lb bottle in about :45 minutes to an hour.....but I'm almost never running more than 1/2 throttle. I have a 5 lb. bottle as well. I have run it 2-3 hours at 1/2 power, and it's about half empty (I weighed it).

1566866825450.png
Mike

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If I can ask - how do you think the propane outboard compares to a 4 stroke with gas - with regard to running noise? The quieter 4 strokes were a big benefit when they came out, I've always thought. Propane might be even better.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
If I can ask - how do you think the propane outboard compares to a 4 stroke with gas - with regard to running noise? The quieter 4 strokes were a big benefit when they came out, I've always thought. Propane might be even better.
My Tohatsu Propane is very quiet, but I’m also comparing it to the old motor: a 5hp air cooled 4 stroke (basically a lawn mower with a prop). That air cooled could wake the dead at idle.

Apr 11, 2017
My Tohatsu Propane is very quiet, but I’m also comparing it to the old motor: a 5hp air cooled 4 stroke (basically a lawn mower with a prop). That air cooled could wake the dead at idle.
Thanks. You almost need ear plugs for anything air cooled. I almost bought a new Honda 2.3 - 4 stroke, until I realized it was air cooled - went with a Suzuki 2.5 for a dinghy instead, for that reason. Propane sounds like a great way to go.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
At idle its much quieter than my 2004 Tohatsu 4 stroke it replaced. Almost no need to stop it, just leave it purring. At speed, it's like any outboard, though probably still quieter if one were to measure it.

mll

Oct 17, 2019
Catalina 22 Wheeler Lake
I use the yamaha 9.9hp4 cycle very light 12v 6 amp alt output, also can be used on dingy, eviormental friendly. Plent of power to manuver catalina.

Apr 11, 2017
I use the yamaha 9.9hp4 cycle very light 12v 6 amp alt output, also can be used on dingy, eviormental friendly. Plent of power to manuver catalina.
9.9 - that's a muscle car engine!