New member cdi ff2 question

Feb 18, 2020
Macgreor 26s Fl On trailer lakes,rivers and
I had a cdi ff2 installed by a sailloft while they installed slides in main jib and genoa. My question is about the messenger line.They tied the jib to the top with the messenger line and it is very short.Do I add to that so I can change sails with the mast up. Is the messenger line the Halyard and how would I do that. Thank you in advance for I am VERY new to sailing Jerry

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You basically got it. I like to use shock line. You can buy a spool of it rather inexpensively at Lowes or Home Depot. At the bottom of the sail there should be a small piece of line that ties to a cleat at the bottom of the CDI used to tack the bottom of the forefoot. When you drop the sail, you need to tie the "messenger" line .... (I use a square knot but there are more salty knots if you want to go legit...) to the tack line. Pull the sail down and the messenger line will go up the CDI. Tie the bitter end of the messenger line to the cleat once the sail is all the way down. When you go to raise the sail back up the CDI, this messenger becomes your halyard.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Ff2 is meant be used with a luff tape not slides. You may want to touch base with cdi about impact on warranty, suitability etc.
As mentioned by others the halyard goes up when you pull down the sail. Attach a suitable line to it when dropping sail. (Mine originally came with 1/8 line for this use but it is very hard on the hands when raising the sail - fortunately it was normally only done once per season.)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
PS.... Keep a can of dry lube (like this) handy...
1582061259887.png

and squirt a little of this in the groove as you are pulling the sail up. It will make taking it back down MUCH easier... and that is very important if you are pulling it down in a blow.

Feb 18, 2020
Macgreor 26s Fl On trailer lakes,rivers and
Thanks for the quick reply every one. Yes I have the manual,it was not clear to me. Is this to be left on after seting up like a normal halyard Jerry

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
messenger is left in place when no sail is installed but removed when sail is hoisted.