New main sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dennis globe

Nice to find this site, I hope you can help. My 30 is ready for a new main sail. The old one has been repaired mahy times and is stretched beyond any reasonable limit. the prices I'm getting for new sails are all over the map. An outfit called National Sales is about 60% the price of a North sail. what's the difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones? And what about used sails? can they be any good?

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Sails for your 30

Dennis, There are many differences between sail makers and even between sails offered by the same maker. I have not used a sail that National made, but I have heard in passing that they make a decent product for the price. Like anything else in sailing, for the most part you get what you pay for. If you do not need a performance sail, National might do the trick. I would prefer to spend more up front for a sail that is likely to last longer. With propper care, there is no reason that a quality sail from a reputable loft cannot last 15 years or longer. Good friends of mine sail a 1976 Peterson 46 with the original main. The boat was at sea for years with this sail flying and it is still in good shape. They have covered it religiously when not in use, and had it recoated twice. The differences between sails include the quality of the cloth used, the strength and type of stiching, and engineering that goes into shape. Sails are incredibly dynamic creatures and even relatively low performance sails take a lot of design work to do well. The new mylar laminate sails take more computing power than the space shuttle. Like almost anything else in life, used sails can be fine but you need to be sure you know what you are getting, and how to check for the amount of life left in them. I think that unless they are a wicked deal, used sails are probably a false economy. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

D

Don Evans

can you wait?

Dennis,this is usually the worst time of the year to purchase a sail.They command the highest prices because most lofts are very busy. Can National promise you one for this spring? If you can squeak one more season, start looking in the early winter, around boat show time. Most offer discounts and guarantees you will receive your sail during recommisioning next spring. Practical Sailor did a wonderful article last year on the state of the art in sail making and why the difference in prices between lofts. You can order a copy from them. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.