New Lancer 25 owner here who needs rigging help.

jk651

Mar 27, 2015
Lancer 25 Lake Tahoe
I bought a 1984 Lancer 25 on April 4th. The boat hasn't been in the water in 14 years (maybe more). The seller had bought the boat in 2001 with the intentions of fixing it up and retiring onto the boat. That never happened and instead it sat in his backyard, uncovered, under a tree for the last 14 years. It needs a good cleaning, batteries, charger, cabin windows, and a few other repairs. He never had it on the water and never had the mast raised so he couldn't tell me much about the rigging. I've never sailed before, so I can't rely on past experience to help me figure out the rigging either. My big thing is figuring out the backstay. I can't find high res pictures online, but from what I have found it looks like the backstay splits into two like an upside down Y and there are some pulleys in a triangular fashion. Are there any owners on here of similarly rigged Lancers that could send me some good pictures of the backstay rigging, boom sheet, and where the headstay attaches to the bow?

I've started a little blog to track our progress HERE, if anyone is interested.

Thanks, Jeff

jk651

Mar 27, 2015
Lancer 25 Lake Tahoe
Thanks, that link sort of helps. At least now I should be able to figure out if I have everything I need for rigging up the back stay.

Thanks for pointing out the "block" thing. I guess I knew they were blocks and not pulleys, but sometimes it's hard to get into the habit of using the sailing term and not the everyday term.

bert f

Nov 10, 2014
lancer 25 mk iv Tacoma
Hi, I'm a of 25 plus years of Lancer 25 Mk IV ownership. All is correct about " blocks" etc. , except, the picture shown is for a "masthead" rigging' That is the forestay runs to the top of the mast. Mine is a (7/8) fractional unit. With my setup, the forestay runs up to a fitting 7/8 of the way up the mast. The "tuning " of the different setups is like night and day. As to the "post" on some of the early boats, that was to avoid " deck compression if you are going to run up wind. Let me know if I can be of more help. Bertf

May 1, 2018
Lancer 25 Portland oregon
I have a Lancer 25 that I purchased. It has a boom vane that was detached and zi am t egg ying to figure out ehere it attached to the mast. There are no eu ed s on hooks to attach the lower block to mast